BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)

DarrylR.14

Part 2 of my day adventure: Links to others will be here below:

Embarcadero Station:

Looking towards the Transbay Tube(incoming train side)

Photo1464.jpg

Looking towards to Montgomery Station(the next stop)

Photo1466.jpg

Electronic Timetable(I think...):

Photo1465.jpg

BART interior:

Photo1468.jpg

Photo1471.jpg

Marble floors in one station:

Photo1469.jpg

Station we got off from(Mezzanine)

Photo1472.jpg

Photo1473.jpg

Now other photos of BART:

Photo1478.jpg

Photo1479.jpg

Civic Center Station(I think)

Photo1481.jpg

A plaque that says Trains to East Bay:

Photo1480.jpg

Bizzaro Facts and such:

-For a near 30 year old train, they can travel VERY fast on those tunnels. I'd say around 60-70mph or so(just seeing the lights in the tunnel past by 2 every second sooo...)I had to pop my ears every 20 seconds or so for a train that goes too fast!

-BART trains are pretty long. About 71' per car, its way longer than the NYC subway(by about 110' stated in Wiki) but when looking at the platform length at stations, they look pretty short. I thought NYC subway platforms are longer than BART at one point.

-When a BART train is in the tunnel, the axles make a very loud noise, almost made me deaf. my estimation of the amount of dB it makes while traveling is around 100 to 110 which is high. I think there axles are wearing off or they're just abusing it.

-BART can start fast and stop very hard but still makes the marker. A challenge to NYC subway T/Os.

-The trains proplusion sound is the same as the R143/R142A

-About BART T/Os abusing the fleet, as the train speed down the tunnels, they take the curve real fast(even though the the turn is like less than 15% or more than 200m radius)but at straightaways, the train rocks back and forth and hits one bump real hard, it feels like you're in a car off the tracks than on a subway

(Could think of more but I don't want to put it.)

Other photos will be on other thread:

NYCTA rolling stock is 51ft, 60ft, or 75ft long (there have been some 67ft cars as well). I wouldn't say BART was "way longer". Traditional commuter cars are 85ft long (LIRR/MNRR coaches for example).

The banging that you hear in the tunnels is likely not the axles, but either flat wheels or somewhat large joints in the track. CWR (continuously welded rail) solves this noise issue. Flat wheels are caused by skidding (you mentioned hard stops).

Rocking back and forth along the track is due to a few things. First, the trains suspension may not be the greatest (for example, ride in a Honda Civic, then get in a Benz). Track alignment also plays a part in this.

That said, nice photos. It's insightful to have a look at other transit systems. Us New Yawkers sometimes get a little too used to what we've got. :(

NYCTA rolling stock is 51ft, 60ft, or 75ft long (there have been some 67ft cars as well). I wouldn't say BART was "way longer". Traditional commuter cars are 85ft long (LIRR/MNRR coaches for example).

The banging that you hear in the tunnels is likely not the axles, but either flat wheels or somewhat large joints in the track. CWR (continuously welded rail) solves this noise issue. Flat wheels are caused by skidding (you mentioned hard stops).

Rocking back and forth along the track is due to a few things. First, the trains suspension may not be the greatest (for example, ride in a Honda Civic, then get in a Benz). Track alignment also plays a part in this.

That said, nice photos. It's insightful to have a look at other transit systems. Us New Yawkers sometimes get a little too used to what we've got. :(

Well from wiki(even though it cannot me trusted much, but the info sounds true) one said that BART is about 710' long and I was talking about subway only but yeah that is true. Also in wiki, one said that BART is a hybrid of commuter and subway.

I was thinking of flat wheels along the whole ride back and forth.(I said axles, whoops. I meant wheels)

Actually that rocking back and forth, I meant the other cars are going back and forth but actually the car i was in stayed pretty stable, no moving back and forth at all.

All in all, Thanks!

Well from wiki(even though it cannot me trusted much, but the info sounds true) one said that BART is about 710' long and I was talking about subway only but yeah that is true. Also in wiki, one said that BART is a hybrid of commuter and subway.

I was thinking of flat wheels along the whole ride back and forth.(I said axles, whoops. I meant wheels)

Actually that rocking back and forth, I meant the other cars are going back and forth but actually the car i was in stayed pretty stable, no moving back and forth at all.

All in all, Thanks!

BART is also broad gauge. Part of the reason for this, is that it operates in a seismically active zone. The tunnel segments are semi-flexibly joined together as well.

It's true, it's meant to be between subway & commuter rail.

I kinda dig the retro rolling stock. Reminds me of the metro in DC & PATH up in nwk/jc/hob/nyc. :cool:

- A

Cool pics!! BART sounds like something fun to ride and it almost reminds me of PATCO except it goes in a tunnel instead of over a bridge.

Are BART's fares distance based or flat fare?

it's distance based. for exact fare/route info here their website.

http://www.bart.gov

FYI. I rode the Bart 1x in my life when i was visting with my sister/brother in law the bay area in 1995. Other than the DC Metro, it's the 2nd best subway/rapid transit line in America. The subway cars are so quiet other than turns, you think you are on a plane. Back then when i rode Bart, the SFO aiport station was not yet bulit.

Only negative with Bart imo is no overnight service. It would be nice if one line could run all night ie Richmond/Berkley or Bay Point(pittburg)-SFO aiport line with 1-hour headways at least.

it's distance based. for exact fare/route info here their website.

http://www.bart.gov

FYI. I rode the Bart 1x in my life when i was visting with my sister/brother in law the bay area in 1995. Other than the DC Metro, it's the 2nd best subway/rapid transit line in America. The subway cars are so quiet other than turns, you think you are on a plane. Back then when i rode Bart, the SFO aiport station was not yet bulit.

Only negative with Bart imo is no overnight service. It would be nice if one line could run all night ie Richmond/Berkley or Bay Point(pittburg)-SFO aiport line with 1-hour headways at least.

Well, BART had a GOH around 1995 so that maybe the reason for the quiet ride but now the wheels are just making a bad high pitched noise and it hurts my ears.

• 1 month later...
Cool pics!! BART sounds like something fun to ride and it almost reminds me of PATCO except it goes in a tunnel instead of over a bridge.

Are BART's fares distance based or flat fare?

BART's fares are distance based but BART does offer an excursion fare that allows you to tour the system.

Archived