Brooklyn bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

From my own personal experiences of commuting from Bay Ridge to Kingsborough CC, Brooklyn College, and Boro Hall, I have a few ideas to throw into the discussion.

B1/B64/B86:

Eliminate the B64.

Route the B1 via the B64's route east of 14th Avenue, and then into Brighton Beach to Kingsborough. The biggest choke point for the B1 is 86th Street under the West End's el. With no traffic, the run from Colonial Road to KBCC is just under an hour. Midday, that turns into an hour and half.

Route the B86 from 3rd Ave & 86th Street via 86th Street and Avenue X to Ocean Parkway, then down OP and around to Stillwell Terminal -- it takes over the terminal slot of the B64.

B11:

I'm not sure where to route this bus, but the western half of the west-bound run sticks it on a narrow residential street where the... inhabitants... don't think twice about blocking the road with their double parked cars and ignore the bus' horn when the driver gets trapped behind them.

B37/B63:

While I agree that the B37 isn't exactly the most traveled bus route in the boro, it does serve a purpose. Shoppers use it, at least one way, to get to Costco. It also serves Lutheran Hospital, Home Depot, Lowes, and links Bay Ridge with the courts and government buildings downtown. The subway is not a good replacement for it as most of the stations aren't ADA accessible -- and even if you aren't in a wheelchair, the stairs are murder for those with bad backs or knees.

My thought, and it's largely a compromise for budget cutting, is to merge the B37 and B63, and route the combined bus line on 4th Avenue, Atlantic, up Smith to Livingston, and down Court to Atlantic again.

Other than that, I'd like a bus directly linking my home with my school, but I guess that has to wait until I win lotto. :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thought, and it's largely a compromise for budget cutting, is to merge the B37 and B63, and route the combined bus line on 4th Avenue, Atlantic, up Smith to Livingston, and down Court to Atlantic again.

I respectively disagree. I do believe the B37 has a purpose though, but to merge it directly above the subway seems unnecessary, especially with the B63's importance as the 5th Avenue bus. If anything, I think the B63 should have shorter headways, and maybe a rush hour limited service like some routes in Queens have. There was some discussion on this board (it may have been this thread, actually), a while back about a limited (or local) B37 variant merged with a route onto Staten Island, to give Staten Island residents a one seat ride to Costco, 36th Street train station, Atlantic terminal and Downtown Brooklyn, without going too deep into Staten Island, though. That way, the B37 will increase in ridership.

Or ABOUT ARTICS FOR Flatbush and just new buses for ulmer park.:)

I heard there were some artics due to arrive in Flatbush for the B44. It would be nic to have for the B46, but I can't picture Artics working particularly well on Flatbush Avenue on the B41.

If this was mentioned, I'm sorry I missed it. Can we do something about the Western End of B6 Limited service? If anyone riders it, does it end way too early? I always thought that the locals should run until Bay Pkwy/86th St and have the limiteds go to Bay 37th St with limited service in-between 86th St & the Rockaway Pkwy station. But, if it's not warranted, then service can stay how it is now.

My other service change, the MTA has already implemented. I was going to say that all BM2 Downtown-only trips should start/end at Seaview Av. Well, that has already happened, all trips now service the Spring Creek Towers according to the new schedule.

If this was mentioned, I'm sorry I missed it. Can we do something about the Western End of B6 Limited service? If anyone riders it, does it end way too early? I always thought that the locals should run until Bay Pkwy/86th St and have the limiteds go to Bay 37th St with limited service in-between 86th St & the Rockaway Pkwy station. But, if it's not warranted, then service can stay how it is now.

B6 picks up rather heavy @ Cropsey/Bay Pkwy, though...

I've seen (eastbound) B6's SRO after serving that stop... on a couple occasions....

It's not like the B6 doesn't have short turns along the route...

B6 picks up rather heavy @ Cropsey/Bay Pkwy, though...

I've seen (eastbound) B6's SRO after serving that stop... on a couple occasions....

It's not like the B6 doesn't have short turns along the route...

Oh, I didn't know, I saw the schedule and only saw short-turns at Av J/Coney Island. Okay, it can stay the way it is now in that case.

My other service change, the MTA has already implemented. I was going to say that all BM2 Downtown-only trips should start/end at Seaview Av. Well, that has already happened, all trips now service the Spring Creek Towers according to the new schedule.

Agree. I mention it in the B6 thread.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12151

B35 is correct. Weekdays the B6 has '4 service patterns. The first is the Limited that runs the full route. The second is the "local between Ave J/Coney Island Ave and Rockaway Parkway. Also another few buses run between Crospey/25th Avenue and Rockaway Pwy. And rush hours a couple of B6 runs between Nostrand/Glenwood Rd (Flatbush Ave (2)(5) subway)and Ralph Ave using Flatbush depot buses.

ON WEEKENDS JUST '2' SERVICE PATTERNS. THE LIMITED RUNS THE FULL ROUTE WHILE the local operates between Rockaway Pwy. and Crospey.

Just came off the BM2 today.... If there was only a feasible way to somehow re-route that bus off Flatbush av, it would be a godsend... everytime I take that bus (to Utica), it always, and I mean always gets stuck on Flatbush av... from the time it turned off cortelyou, to the time it turned onto Av H, it took a whopping 23 minutes... the FIVE B41's along the way (two of which were right in front of my BM2, after the b/o managed to maneuver past the TWO B6's waiting to turn (onto Glenwood)... then you got the dam dollar vans jostling/hustling for passengers didn't help any either.... The 103 that was right behind my BM2 (after we turned off cortelyou) must've had it just as bad... b/c there were TWO more B6's at the corner of Flatbush/Hillel (or w/e that side street is)... yes, that's FOUR eastbound B6's w/i a 5 minute interval!... and another BM2 about 2 or 3 vehicles behind that B103.... crazy right....

It's like, the Foster av stop is moot (as many BM2's I been on, I don't think I ever seen more than 5 ppl. get off at that stop, and the stop at the Junction isn't exactly a major dropoff point either)....

[/end small vent/rant]

maybe some of you have some bright ideas, b/c I can't think of any, regarding this route....

The only thing I can think of is send it down Ocean Av, make the turn on Glenwood, then go on Flatbush to Av H so it still serves the Junction. And that's only if that Foster Av stop really isn't helpful, because the BM1, 3, and 4 already make those stops on Ocean.

Just came off the BM2 today.... If there was only a feasible way to somehow re-route that bus off Flatbush av, it would be a godsend... everytime I take that bus (to Utica), it always, and I mean always gets stuck on Flatbush av... from the time it turned off cortelyou, to the time it turned onto Av H, it took a whopping 23 minutes... the FIVE B41's along the way (two of which were right in front of my BM2, after the b/o managed to maneuver past the TWO B6's waiting to turn (onto Glenwood)... then you got the dam dollar vans jostling/hustling for passengers didn't help any either.... The 103 that was right behind my BM2 (after we turned off cortelyou) must've had it just as bad... b/c there were TWO more B6's at the corner of Flatbush/Hillel (or w/e that side street is)... yes, that's FOUR eastbound B6's w/i a 5 minute interval!... and another BM2 about 2 or 3 vehicles behind that B103.... crazy right....

It's like, the Foster av stop is moot (as many BM2's I been on, I don't think I ever seen more than 5 ppl. get off at that stop, and the stop at the Junction isn't exactly a major dropoff point either)....

[/end small vent/rant]

maybe some of you have some bright ideas, b/c I can't think of any, regarding this route....

Only option for changing the BM2 in that area could be this imo.

Ocean Avenue, Fargutt, Flatbush, then current route. This keeps it close to existing route but avoids the section of Flatbush that has narrow lanes as well.

I say again, get it off McDonald (out of the way), Church, CI/Cortelyou, and run it straight across Beverley, and that will speed the trip up and make up for whatever delays occur on Flatbush. (which in my experience years ago, were never as bad as that narrow, zigzag route!)

I say again, get it off McDonald (out of the way), Church, CI/Cortelyou, and run it straight across Beverley, and that will speed the trip up and make up for whatever delays occur on Flatbush. (which in my experience years ago, were never as bad as that narrow, zigzag route!)

Eric while i agree that your idea is the best way for the former Command Bus lines aka Brooklyn MTA Manhattan Express Buses to run in Central Brooklyn, you aware it politically why the BM1-4's routes still travel on almost the same streets right?

Only thing wrong I see w/ Eric's idea is that.... it would require buses to remain on the prospect expwy up until Beverly.... The reason buses use McDonald av (the exit that leads closest to McDonald av) is due to the bumper-to-bumper traffic that occurs, when the Prospect expwy ends (and where ocean pkwy begins)... There is a traffic light @ Church av/ (prospect expwy/ocean pkwy).... I often see traffic 3 lanes wide, backed up from Church av to where Caton would be (looking down @ the overpass) when said light is red... that's a long red, and a fairly short green.... You don't want buses stuck in that on a daily basis....

Otherwise, I can agree to that idea there.

Getting stuck at that one light (and then making the simple left one block later) would probably still be quicker than veering off onto McDonald (and the light at Ft Hamilton I remember as being long, whether there is a lot of traffic behind it or not), and then making the sharp turn onto Church, which is very jammed and has several lights, and then the sharp turn onto CI Av. Which is busy and has long lights, and then the sharp turn onto narrow Cortelyou.

I don't know about the political thing.

[/end small vent/rant]

I once rode this B103 that turned on Ocean, took it down to Foster made a left down to Flatbush. Maybe the BM2 can take that routing, as its a bit quicker.

I would put extra buses on the Flatbush Avenue Bus Depot Services such as the B41 and B46.

Or ABOUT ARTICS FOR Flatbush and just new buses for ulmer park.:(
I agree, 1 artic could do the work of 3 40ft buses. Not to mention that the MTA would save money doing such a move.

I love the B71 idea. I heard from a Spring Creek Operator that the B103 will move to 7 day a week service starting in the fall.

Thats great news, now that SC depot will be open 7 days a week Museum bus 4904 could be put on display at Bus fests & Roadeos.

Getting stuck at that one light (and then making the simple left one block later) would probably still be quicker than veering off onto McDonald (and the light at Ft Hamilton I remember as being long, whether there is a lot of traffic behind it or not), and then making the sharp turn onto Church, which is very jammed and has several lights, and then the sharp turn onto CI Av. Which is busy and has long lights, and then the sharp turn onto narrow Cortelyou.

Yeah, I suppose it'd save some time...

When I drive, I refrain from using the prospect expwy, so I wouldn't know....

One thing I do want to point out (not sure if you're aware of it or not)...

The BM1-4 don't all take that routing you speak of anymore.....

Only the BM3 & 4 (still) use the Mcdonald > Church > CI av > Cortelyou, etc routing.....

BM1's & 2's use Mcdonald > Caton > CI av > Cortelyou, etc....

even though the Caton routing is faster, the BM2 is still problematic on F'bush around 6/7pm....

worse, there's no room for a bus only lane or w/e :( ....ah well....

Oh, OK; I wasn't even aware of that. I had heard abouit how Manhattan bound they moved to Park Circle. (which is keeping them on the traffic streets longer). And they all remain on Cortelyou, which is the tightest street.

The X29 also maintains the old routing. I do see that the BM 1&2 no longer have any stops after Cortelyou. I would say only the 103 should remain on McDonald.

I wonder why they are doign everything but sending them across Beverley. (which also has the subway connection like Cortelyou). For this matter, they might as well keep them on Parkside Ave. to Ocean and Flatbush.

• 3 months later...
Agree. I mention it in the B6 thread.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12151

B35 is correct. Weekdays the B6 has '4 service patterns. The first is the Limited that runs the full route. The second is the "local between Ave J/Coney Island Ave and Rockaway Parkway. Also another few buses run between Crospey/25th Avenue and Rockaway Pwy. And rush hours a couple of B6 runs between Nostrand/Glenwood Rd (Flatbush Ave (2)(5) subway)and Ralph Ave using Flatbush depot buses.

ON WEEKENDS JUST '2' SERVICE PATTERNS. THE LIMITED RUNS THE FULL ROUTE WHILE the local operates between Rockaway Pwy. and Crospey.

i think the B6 should be limited from Bay 37 to rock sta....even when i worked that line many yrs ago it was busy on bay pkwy......the reason behind it terminating at coney island ave is because when the B11 went to rock sta it was eliminated back in the 80's....so TA figured that the heaviest portion of the B6 was from CI ave to rock sta since there wasnt any B11 to pick up the slack....

i have a suggestion....An extension of the B11 from flatbush ave to ralph ave.......i would have the B11 continue down flatbush make left on Ave J and travel all the way until ralph ave....it would provide a service to a very underserve area and very populated area in brooklyn....any thoughts?

Here are a snippet of my Brooklyn ideas:

B14-Extended to Grand Army Plaza. Not all stations on Eastern Pkwy are ADA-compliant

B42-Extended to ENY Av so it can be more useful

B74-Extended to Kingsborough CC so it can be more useful

B103-Extended to Gateway Ctr

More to come

Here are a snippet of my Brooklyn ideas:

B14-Extended to Grand Army Plaza. Not all stations on Eastern Pkwy are ADA-compliant

B42-Extended to ENY Av so it can be more useful

B74-Extended to Kingsborough CC so it can be more useful

B103-Extended to Gateway Ctr

More to come

replies.

B14-Not needed imo since the B45 runs on St John Place 2 blocks away between Utica and Bedford. If anthing imo the B71 should be extended to Utica/Eastern Pwy station, not the much busier B14.

B42-Canarise residents wont be happy as this is already a busy route and realiblity would go down. Only 'extension' i agree with B42 maybe an short extension to East 108th/Seaview (B17 terminal) so resmen village residents have a 1-seat ride to the (L)station.

B74-The (NYCT) already tried this route in the 1980's called the shopper special which ran between Brighton Beach station (now the (:P(Q) lines)and Sea Gate weekdays and saturdays appx. 7am-7pm. failed due to 'low ridership' but the Brighton/Coney Island area in last 20-25 years has seen a population boom. Let CI/Brighton riders transfer between the B68 or (Q)train and B74 at Stillwell imo.

B103-I agree that at least alternative trips and all trips on weekends/holidays for the route to be extended to Gateway. However i am not sure why the delay as about 2-3 years ago (MTA) Bus did propose your(q43)idea.

Archived