Brooklyn bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts:

B7- Extended to W 8 St and Kings Highway via Kings Highway and Quentin Rd. It will stop at Kings Highway (F) and (N) stations.

B47- Extended a few blocks into Kings Plaza Bus Terminal.

NEW B5- LTD bus stopping at Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, Brighton Beach (:)(Q), Shore Blvd & Neptune Av, Ocean Av & Neck Rd, Av U & Nostrand Av, Gerritsen Av & Av U, and Kings Plaza. Serves shoppers in South Brooklyn and Bay Academy students going to Av. U area.

Eliminate the BM5. Extend the BM2 and increase service if necessary.

Eliminate the B23. Extend the B67 if necessary.

My thoughts:

B7- Extended to W 8 St and Kings Highway via Kings Highway and Quentin Rd. It will stop at Kings Highway (F) and (N) stations.

NEW B5- LTD bus stopping at Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, Brighton Beach (:)(Q), Shore Blvd & Neptune Av, Ocean Av & Neck Rd, Av U & Nostrand Av, Gerritsen Av & Av U, and Kings Plaza. Serves shoppers in South Brooklyn and Bay Academy students going to Av. U area.

y eliminate the 23.....y not extend it down 16 ave into cropsey ave......and extend it down beverly rd....rt on brooklyn ave.....left on cortelyou rd......left on schnectady ave.....rt on2 beverly rd in2 ave b.....rt turn on remsen ave.....rt on ditmas ave in foster ave and terminate it at e83 st and foster ave.....they r building a mall over there and right now only the 17 is there....

didn't see this set.... eh, I have time...

i have a suggestion....An extension of the B11 from flatbush ave to ralph ave.......i would have the B11 continue down flatbush make left on Ave J and travel all the way until ralph ave....it would provide a service to a very underserve area and very populated area in brooklyn....any thoughts?

That's BM1 territory... but yeah, that area could use local bus service... I'm not so sure that it should be an extension of the 11, though.... that route is slow enough as it is....

Here are a snippet of my Brooklyn ideas:

B14-Extended to Grand Army Plaza. Not all stations on Eastern Pkwy are ADA-compliant

B42-Extended to ENY Av so it can be more useful

B74-Extended to Kingsborough CC so it can be more useful

B103-Extended to Gateway Ctr

More to come

B14... an extension along eastern parkway wouldn't yield many more passengers... matter fact, it'd resemble the current Q24 along broadway; after B'way junction, ridership absolutely tanks.... that's the perfect analogy for that scenario......

B42... that's probably the "shorter" type routes in all the boroughs that I'd leave alone..... an extension to ENY av would solve nothing b/c those riders (along rockaway av) would already be on B60's... out of all the bus connections around Rockaway pkwy (L), ppl. x-ferring from the B60 to the B42 (or vice versa) is the least common.... from what I depict anyway....

B74... I've thought long & hard about this... I still think this route should become nothing more than a spur of the B36.....

extending this to KCC... ridership would die west of the Stillwell station... the KCC students already got the B1 & the B49... People in Brighton beach generally aren't looking to go to Coney island (the neighborhood) or manhattan beach (most embark on 68's to head up to kings hwy)....

B103... I am still against extending this to gateway...

The B83 extension made it MUCH easier for people living in areas west of Fountain av to gain access to that mall... anything more than a B83 extension to gateway, is overkill.... hell, I still think extending Q8's there was overkill..... but, that is what it is....

My thoughts:

B7... W. 8th st/Kings Hwy... what, by the N train? odd place to end a route, but the B7 doesn't need an extension out there... the B82 serves that area, and IMO, is all is needed...

B47... for what, it'll still terminate @ kings plaza regardless... it would suck to pass by the mall, get stuck in flatbush av traffic, having to wait at that turn signal for another 2-3 minutes, just for it to pull into one of the bays.... The B47 uses that routing as a turnaround anyway, so, may as well leave the B47 as is, in that regard....

and plz. don't bring up the argument of people having to cross Avenue U to get to the entrance....

"B5"... I'll admit it's not a bad idea (i've seen quite a few variations of this)... but I'll always be against a route that pans from Coney Island to Kings plaza....

BM5... the more & more I ride this route, the more I'm coming to grips in agreeing w/ getting rid of it....

B23... agreed... and I don't think the B67 has to be extended as a result of it either...

y eliminate the 23.....y not extend it down 16 ave into cropsey ave......and extend it down beverly rd....rt on brooklyn ave.....left on cortelyou rd......left on schnectady ave.....rt on2 beverly rd in2 ave b.....rt turn on remsen ave.....rt on ditmas ave in foster ave and terminate it at e83 st and foster ave.....they r building a mall over there and right now only the 17 is there....

so basically you want to make the B23 similar to the B8?

except this route would be long & drawn out - with about a handful of passengers on it? doesn't make much sense bro.....

y eliminate the 23

No one uses it.

LMAO !!

That's BM1 territory... but yeah, that area could use local bus service... I'm not so sure that it should be an extension of the 11, though.... that route is slow enough as it is....

B14... an extension along eastern parkway wouldn't yield many more passengers... matter fact, it'd resemble the current Q24 along broadway; after B'way junction, ridership absolutely tanks.... that's the perfect analogy for that scenario......

B42... that's probably the "shorter" type routes in all the boroughs that I'd leave alone..... an extension to ENY av would solve nothing b/c those riders (along rockaway av) would already be on B60's... out of all the bus connections around Rockaway pkwy (L), ppl. x-ferring from the B60 to the B42 (or vice versa) is the least common.... from what I depict anyway....

B74... I've thought long & hard about this... I still think this route should become nothing more than a spur of the B36.....

extending this to KCC... ridership would die west of the Stillwell station... the KCC students already got the B1 & the B49... People in Brighton beach generally aren't looking to go to Coney island (the neighborhood) or manhattan beach (most embark on 68's to head up to kings hwy)....

The B83 extension made it MUCH easier for people living in areas west of Fountain av to gain access to that mall... anything more than a B83 extension to gateway, is overkill.... hell, I still think extending Q8's there was overkill..... but, that is what it is....

B7... W. 8th st/Kings Hwy... what, by the N train? odd place to end a route, but the B7 doesn't need an extension out there... the B82 serves that area, and IMO, is all is needed...

B47... for what, it'll still terminate @ kings plaza regardless... it would suck to pass by the mall, get stuck in flatbush av traffic, having to wait at that turn signal for another 2-3 minutes, just for it to pull into one of the bays.... The B47 uses that routing as a turnaround anyway, so, may as well leave the B47 as is, in that regard....

and plz. don't bring up the argument of people having to cross Avenue U to get to the entrance....

"B5"... I'll admit it's not a bad idea (i've seen quite a few variations of this)... but I'll always be against a route that pans from Coney Island to Kings plaza....

BM5... the more & more I ride this route, the more I'm coming to grips in agreeing w/ getting rid of it....

B23... agreed... and I don't think the B67 has to be extended as a result of it either...

except this route would be long & drawn out - with about a handful of passengers on it? doesn't make much sense bro.....

LMAO !!

yeah im laughin as well....but im an operator and as an operator i dont want 2 c lines disappear because of low ridership.....its thinking like that, that make ta eliminate lines and cut jobs for us operators....im just saying instead of eliminating it...think of new ways 2 make it useful....think outside of the box....

yeah im laughin as well....but im an operator and as an operator i dont want 2 c lines disappear because of low ridership.....its thinking like that, that make ta eliminate lines and cut jobs for us operators....im just saying instead of eliminating it...think of new ways 2 make it useful....think outside of the box....

also look at the 103 for example....it pretty much duplicates the B6 but it has flourish....so dont try 2 knock the ext of the B23 bcuz it is a few blocks from the B8....east flatbush has a heavy immigrant population and service can b useful over there....

this has nothin to do with thinkin outside the box....

There's a huge difference b/w making a route more useful... and extending a route *somewhere* just for the hell of it....

cutting jobs for you operators... Listen, if that was your stance all along, why bother coming up w/ a suggestion to alter the route at all...

matter fact, why bother coming up with ideas PERIOD ???

also look at the 103 for example....it pretty much duplicates the B6 but it has flourish....so dont try 2 knock the ext of the B23 bcuz it is a few blocks from the B8....east flatbush has a heavy immigrant population and service can b useful over there....

You're preaching to the choir... I live here in East Flatbush....

putting buses on beverly rd... brooklyn av... cortelyou (along the south end of the cemetery... wow)... schenectady.... sorry bro, won't work.

Your best bet would have been to keep buses along Clarendon.... at least that would've made some iota of sense

and the difference b/w the B6/B103 is that... the B103 serves canarsie, south of flatlands av... B6 serves the L train station.... both routes are lifelines to the areas they serve w/i canarsie, alone.... so, yeah, poor comparison....

extending B23's essentially in the same area the B8 already serves, solves... what?

Pretty much.... But I've come to grips that the days of the "super limited" routes are dead & gone....

Seems like everytime you look around, they're making changes to that route (B103)... whether it's to its physical routing, its hrs. of operation, etc etc... there's an old saying that goes "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing"...

The B103 is Spring Creek's baby... haha... I honestly do think, if enough people complain about service on the B82, the B103 would end up serving Starrett city...

I don't know, at least take it to the (F) to give it some more ridership?

B47... for what, it'll still terminate @ kings plaza regardless... it would suck to pass by the mall, get stuck in flatbush av traffic, having to wait at that turn signal for another 2-3 minutes, just for it to pull into one of the bays.... The B47 uses that routing as a turnaround anyway, so, may as well leave the B47 as is, in that regard....and plz. don't bring up the argument of people having to cross Avenue U to get to the entrance....

True.

Why?

Iv'e never ridden it, but using the map, so do I.

Done so people wouldn't complain: OMG!! SERVICE CUTS!!! HOW DARE YOU, (MTA)????:mad::mad::mad:

replies.

B14-Not needed imo since the B45 runs on St John Place 2 blocks away between Utica and Bedford. If anthing imo the B71 should be extended to Utica/Eastern Pwy station, not the much busier B14.I thought the B71 was supposed to go to South Ferry? That's why I suggested this proposal

B42-Canarise residents wont be happy as this is already a busy route and realiblity would go down. Only 'extension' i agree with B42 maybe a short extension to East 108th/Seaview (B17 terminal) so resmen village residents have a 1-seat ride to the (L) station.I don't think it's neccesary since on weekends residents take the B17 to Rockaway Pkwy, B42 to Glenwood Rd then the (L) for 1 fare

B74-The (NYCT) already tried this route in the 1980's called the shopper special which ran between Brighton Beach station (now the (B)(Q) lines)and Sea Gate weekdays and saturdays appx. 7am-7pm. failed due to 'low ridership' but the Brighton/Coney Island area in last 20-25 years has seen a population boom. Let CI/Brighton riders transfer between the B68 or (Q)train and B74 at Stillwell imo.

B103-I agree that at least alternative trips and all trips on weekends/holidays for the route to be extended to Gateway. However i am not sure why the delay as about 2-3 years ago (MTA) Bus did propose your(q43)idea.

Replies in red

LMAO !!

so B35 why are you against some sort of direct Kings Plaza-CI route either a B36 extension(about every 2nd-3rd bus)or new B5 route via Knapp? Even over the summer on weekday pm rush and saturdays the B3 can be crushloaded SRO.

And regarding the BM5 the few times (only during pm rush hours from Midtown-Starret City)i ridden it, does get to 90% seats being filled. Majority of riders does tend to get off at Linden/80th St on the Brooklyn/Queens Border(Lindenwood is neighborhood i think)so at least rush hours it does better than say routes like the X20, X25, BXM6.

In worst case scenrio the BM5 should be a 'peak hour' weekday service running to Midtown imo 6am-12 Noon and to Brooklyn/Spring Creek appx. 12 noon-8pm running every 15-20 minutes like now during the peak times and every hour middays.

so B35 why are you against some sort of direct Kings Plaza-CI route

I don't know why he despises the idea.

either a B36 extension(about every 2nd-3rd bus)or new B5 route via Knapp? Even over the summer on weekday pm rush and saturdays the B3 can be crushloaded SRO.

Why via Knapp? It can be either via Ocean and U or, if needed, via Neck Rd. in one direction.

And regarding the BM5 the few times (only during pm rush hours from Midtown-Starret City)i ridden it, does get to 90% seats being filled. Majority of riders does tend to get off at Linden/80th St on the Brooklyn/Queens Border(Lindenwood is neighborhood i think)so at least rush hours it does better than say routes like the X20, X25, BXM6.

In worst case scenrio the BM5 should be a 'peak hour' weekday service running to Midtown imo 6am-12 Noon and to Brooklyn/Spring Creek appx. 12 noon-8pm running every 15-20 minutes like now during the peak times and every hour middays.

That's actually a good idea.

so B35 why are you against some sort of direct Kings Plaza-CI route either a B36 extension(about every 2nd-3rd bus)or new B5 route via Knapp? Even over the summer on weekday pm rush and saturdays the B3 can be crushloaded SRO.

The QM22 gets just as crowded as the BM5 and it's being cut. So if the QM22 and BxM7B are getting cut and get the same amount of passengers as the BM5. So let the BM5 go, its time has come and gone just like all these holidays.

I don't know, at least take it to the (F) to give it some more ridership?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea... I just don't think it's necessary....

I still think the B82 should be split, but realistically, it's service in that part of the borough is sufficient...

next point...

B7's were (well, are) sent over to CI/Quentin to take *some* of the load off the B82 during the rush... Not too many riders coming from the B/Q subway, or anywhere else along Kings Hwy (especially b/w CI av & Nostrand av), are riding past Flatbush...

If you ever notice the amt. of people that wait @ Flatbush av (by the bank; the NB B7/B82 stop), the majority (seems to me like almost all) of those riders are waiting for the B82...

but I'll always be against a route that pans from Coney Island to Kings plaza....
Why?

You're in Brooklyn (judging by what you put in your forum info), so I'll pose my opinion to you a little differently than I will, to Shortline...

Notice the ridership patterns on the B36 route traveling EB/NB... If people from CI were really striving to get to that mall, B3's would be far more crowded than they already are.... I mean, yeah you get people that take it to the last stop, but that route pretty much always had a tendency to tank @ Nostrand/Av Z (that first NB stop along nostrand after the B36 makes the turn)... why... b/c riders coming from different points along the B36 are trying to get to Sheepshead Bay (the residential part of the neighborhood), or the junction (F'bush/Nostrand)...

don't know about you bro, but I notice far more people that come off B36's x-ferring to the B44, moreso than they do the B3...

As much as I love taking the bus, I'm not advocating that people abandon the subway for the bus... CI residents can take any subway line that serves Stillwell av, to the B3....

Done so people wouldn't complain: OMG!! SERVICE CUTS!!! HOW DARE YOU, ????

haha.... still though, let em complain...

it wouldn't even be an issue if those residents actually used the thing in the first place... I don't know about the 60's & 70's, or even the early 80's, but I never remember the B23 having a decent amt. of ridership...

don't have to compromise the B67 w/ an extension along the current 23 route....

Why am I against it....

Short answer: It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper to a lot of people (a B36 extension, I'm talking about)...

I, don't think it would flourish... at all.

Long answer

Unlike people who just think up these ideas based on looking @ maps, I actually venture to these areas... and for the millionth time, Knapp st is dead... the service would be wasteful to send buses up/down there.... so I won't entertain that particular idea ("B5") any further....

...Yes, people have more free time in the summer... so they go shopping & what not... but every 2nd or 3rd bus on the B36... that's like what, every 20-30 minutes... that's similar to the headways of the B2 to the mall... You wouldn't want to be physically waiting @ a stop to see one or two B36's pass by, just so you can get to kings plaza, when you could have easily taken (any) B36 to the B3.... or the subway to the B3... It's not like it's a three legged xfer to get to KP from CI....

...and you're exaggerating the usage of the B3 jusssttt a bit... those buses aren't crushloaded due to the overwhelming amt. of people going to the mall (lol)... anyone that regularly ride that route will tell you that buses are frequently late or off schedule... traffic along av. u isn't the best either....

I'll end it by saying this.... If the B3 was a low headway route which had high amounts. of riders going to KP, then it'd be a different story.....

....and the BM5 thing, I'll get to, a little later....

Why am I against it....

Short answer: It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper to a lot of people (a B36 extension, I'm talking about)...

I, don't think it would flourish... at all.

Long answer

Unlike people who just think up these ideas based on looking @ maps, I actually venture to these areas... and for the millionth time, Knapp st is dead... the service would be wasteful to send buses up/down there.... so I won't entertain that particular idea ("B5") any further....

...Yes, people have more free time in the summer... so they go shopping & what not... but every 2nd or 3rd bus on the B36... that's like what, every 20-30 minutes... that's similar to the headways of the B2 to the mall... You wouldn't want to be physically waiting @ a stop to see one or two B36's pass by, just so you can get to kings plaza, when you could have easily taken (any) B36 to the B3.... or the subway to the B3... It's not like it's a three legged xfer to get to KP from CI....

...and you're exaggerating the usage of the B3 jusssttt a bit... those buses aren't crushloaded due to the overwhelming amt. of people going to the mall (lol)... anyone that regularly ride that route will tell you that buses are frequently late or off schedule... traffic along av. u isn't the best either....

I'll end it by saying this.... If the B3 was a low headway route which had high amounts. of riders going to KP, then it'd be a different story.....

....and the BM5 thing, I'll get to, a little later....

NEW B5- LTD bus stopping at Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, Brighton Beach (:P(Q), Shore Blvd & Neptune Av, Ocean Av & Neck Rd, Av U & Nostrand Av, Gerritsen Av & Av U, and Kings Plaza. Serves shoppers in South Brooklyn and Bay Academy students going to Av. U area.

Does that mention Knapp St anywhere??? And what do students from Bay Academy who go tho the area do?

Does that mention Knapp St anywhere??? And what do students from Bay Academy who go tho the area do?

Yes, this DOES mention Knapp st somewhere...

That entire post you just quoted of mine... was directed at Shortline, not YOU...

Learn to fully read & comprehend before you go off retaliating against people....

And regarding the BM5 the few times (only during pm rush hours from Midtown-Starret City)i ridden it, does get to 90% seats being filled. Majority of riders does tend to get off at Linden/80th St on the Brooklyn/Queens Border (Lindenwood is neighborhood i think) so at least rush hours it does better than say routes like the X20, X25, BXM6.

Yeh, riders get off @ that 1st stop on Linden Blvd... of any stop along the BM5, that has the highest concentration of riders that are getting off.....

Anyway, IMO, in worst case scenario, they should get rid of it....

Best case scenario, it should probably be a rush hr. only route....

The X20... it's getting a re-route in SI (so it's not gonna loop around like it used to anymore)... and also, an extension along Father Cap., to Seaview... guess someone fought hard to keep that route afloat...

and the BxM6... that should get extended somewhere.. b/c 3 stops in the Bronx is ridiculous.... routes like this, is why I can see there being the # of express bus haters as there are...

• 1 month later...

did u hear about the cuts that mta has proposed?......they r planning on eliminating several lines....B75 and B77 will become part of the B61......the B57 will terminate at smith and 9th st....B13 will terminate at myrtle /wyckoff.....B39 gone.....B51 gone.....B23 gone.....B1 switching terminals with B64 in Bay ridge....and B64 terminating at 25 ave....B4 terminating at coney island ave....B3 no ave X service.....B7 no overnight service.....B8 terminating at VA hospital.....B37 gone......B70 will be rerouted along 3rd ave in bay ridge and terminate at VA hosp....B67 and B69 will be combined line.....B12 will only terminate at Alabama ave....sheridan ave service gone.....Q24 will terminate at bdwy jct..... broadway portion gone......B31 no overnight service.....B48 will be terminating at fulton st....no service below that....B65 no overnight service.....B71 gone

Archived