Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Gamble

Power requirements for subway cars

Are the power requirements for all subway cars the same? It seems like the R160 cars are using more power than a car like the R68. I say that because of all the electronics, pa system and brighter lights on the new tech trains.

I know that the third rail is giving off 600 volts of power.

The NTT also have regenerative braking, which sends power from the braking force back into the 3rd rail. The only other rail equipment i know for a fact that has this is the Acela power cars, and the HHP8 locomotive. It will likely save (MTA) some serious money on the electric bill once the fleet is all NTT.

- A

The NTT also have regenerative braking, which sends power from the braking force back into the 3rd rail. The only other rail equipment i know for a fact that has this is the Acela power cars, and the HHP8 locomotive. It will likely save (MTA) some serious money on the electric bill once the fleet is all NTT.

- A

ALP-46?

BART A and B cars

WMATA cars except the 4000 series, which is still DC

numorous light rail systems

MBTA Red Line 1800 series stock

MBTA Green Line type 8 brenda cars

Are the power requirements for all subway cars the same? It seems like the R160 cars are using more power than a car like the R68. I say that because of all the electronics, pa system and brighter lights on the new tech trains.

I know that the third rail is giving off 600 volts of power.

\

Don't know if this helps, but there should be power specs on there. i know that the NTT cars have 37.5 VDC backups on board. and the third rail is 625 VDC.

B division cars:

datasheet-r160.jpg

datasheet-r143.jpg

datasheet-r68.jpg

datasheet-r68a.jpg

A division cars:

datasheet-r142.jpg

datasheet-r142a.jpg

datasheet-r62.jpg

datasheet-r62a.jpg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for the additional info. I was not sure what percentage dynamic brakes were regen on the alp-46. I do know the other 2 locos are about 50/50, mainly because of the higher speeds they are designed for.

- A