Weird R46 (A) A/B Car arrangements

mark1447

I was at 125th Street Station at about 2:45PM to 3:40PM (Checking for R40S which i didnt see one but at 168 later), Then I notice 2 R46 with A/B cars arranged incorrectly.

First one was a Northbound 207 train with R46 set to: <-North Bound(ABAA|ABBA)

Next one was a Southeast bound Mott Train with R46 set to: Southbound->(ABBA|ABAA) same as the first.

This was similar to when I saw an Avenue X Bound (F) at Smith St in April '09 set to (AABA|ABBA) Southbound>

Instead of these cars being (ABBA|ABBA)

My question is, why were they set like this for? Is it because of the low numbers of B cars being SMS, while the A car replaces them?

For the newbies

A Car= Cab car(For Train Operators/Conductors)

B Car= Trailers, no Cabs inside

The R46 married pairs (AA) were, I believe, intended for the G train when it still operated six-car trains (AAABBA configuration.) Since the G only runs 4 cars, G trains are now generally ABBA or AAAA.

I thought there was only AB R46 pair -- didn't know there were more...

I was at 125th Street Station at about 2:45PM to 3:40PM (Checking for R40S which i didnt see one but at 168 later), Then I notice 2 R46 with A/B cars arranged incorrectly.

First one was a Northbound 207 train with R46 set to: <-North Bound(ABAA|ABBA)

Next one was a Southeast bound Mott Train with R46 set to: Southbound->(ABBA|ABAA) same as the first.

This was similar to when I saw an Avenue X Bound (F) at Smith St in April '09 set to (AABA|ABBA) Southbound>

Instead of these cars being (ABBA|ABBA)

My question is, why were they set like this for? Is it because of the low numbers of B cars being SMS, while the A car replaces them?

For the newbies

A Car= Cab car(For Train Operators/Conductors)

B Car= Trailers, no Cabs inside

Good question. For what it's worth, (G) trains used R46s before 2001, in addition to after 2001. But the (G) had a mixed package of R32s and R46s back then. The (G) used 8-car sets of R32s, just like the (C), and if I'm right, the (G) also used 6-car R46s. So maybe you find unusual consists on the normal lines. Instead of ABBA, you find AABA, or AAAA (yes, that exists as well). This is all because of the fact that the (G)'s R46 consists before December of 2001 when the (V) was introduced were AAABAA, ABBABA, ABAABA, etc. Just keep in mind that R46s were run in 6-car sets, while we're currently used to seeing them in sets of 8, while being grouped as sets of 4 (ABBA). Hope that helps.

Good question. For what it's worth, (G) trains used R46s before 2001, in addition to after 2001. But the (G) had a mixed package of R32s and R46s back then. The (G) used 8-car sets of R32s, just like the (C), and if I'm right, the (G) also used 6-car R46s. So maybe you find unusual consists on the normal lines. Instead of ABBA, you find AABA, or AAAA (yes, that exists as well). This is all because of the fact that the (G)'s R46 consists before December of 2001 when the (V) was introduced were AAABAA, ABBABA, ABAABA, etc. Just keep in mind that R46s were run in 6-car sets, while we're currently used to seeing them in sets of 8, while being grouped as sets of 4 (ABBA). Hope that helps.

Unlike PATH, the MTA doesn't mix equipment like that. The AA sets were used with an ABBA set to form the 6-car trains on the (G). The ABAA set has car 6207 which has controls on the non-mated end in it.

Are you sure the G ran 8-car R32s? I've been using the Bergen Street station for more than a decade and I have never seen a single R32 G train...

Are you sure the G ran 8-car R32s? I've been using the Bergen Street station for more than a decade and I have never seen a single R32 G train...

This was before December of 2001 when the (V) was introduced. The (G) did use 8-car R32s before this time.

They were very rare and were 10-car trains taken off the (E) or (R) when it ran R32s.

I'm glad someone mentioned the hostlers' controls on R46 6207.

Still don't get how one sees where they're going while operating from them though...

You look out the storm door. If you are facing out the end of the B car, it would be to the right of you behind a panel. I think I is made for one handel operation with your reverser key.

You look out the storm door. If you are facing out the end of the B car, it would be to the right of you behind a panel. I think I is made for one handel operation with your reverser key.

Yup that's correct. It's right along the end wall panel at the end of the car, you look out the storm door to see.

The higher numbers of R46's (6206 & above) are in 2 car sets. from 6208-6258 are aven numbers only and are in AA sets. but 6206 & 6207 is an AB set. that pariticular set can only be driven from the A car (6206) while the B car (6207) is always coupled to another AA set. 6207 has couplers on the end of it though so it can be coupled to another set.

Archived