R40 Slants last day is tommorrow

R32 3838

R40 Slants Will be make their last day in passenger service tommorrow, I receved word this afternoon, The TA wants them gone by tommorrow. 2 sets ran today, 1 willbe taken out tonight and an R46 from jamaica will replace that R40 as well on the same night, This Pattern will repeat tommorrow night as well making it the last day for Slants,

January,1968-June 9th,2009

Yeap it is confirmed. One of my uncles works with Pitkin Yards and told me tomorrow will be the last day of slants running. Also the last trip is most likely to Far Rockaway.

Say it ain't so!!! When will the last trip be then? I'm out of school at 4 and would desperately like to get some pics. Anyone, PLEASE let me know when will the Slants' last run will be, I MUST catch it, we ALL must catch it.

Does anyone know what time the R40s will make their last run tomorrow? It is imperative that we all get it and enjoy the last ride? If anyone can log the times that the R40 will serve the major stops, please do so. I know it seems silly, but it would be great if we could get a sense as to when we can catch a Slant at least. Doesn't anyone want a last ride? I regret not getting one with the R38s. Let's not see the R40s go in vain. We should meet up and get on an R40 for one last time as a group!

I will be there tommorrow, I am going to see my freind 1st then he will tell me where the slant is at then I will ride it all day until the last trip. If anybody wants to come with me send me a PM, I will leave early in the Morning.

I will be there tommorrow, I am going to see my freind 1st then he will tell me where the slant is at then I will ride it all day until the last trip. If anybody wants to come with me send me a PM, I will leave early in the Morning.

Unfortunately I can only make it in the afternoon, although I'll try to look for one as early as 6:00 in the morning, but I'll have two hours till school. But I'll really look for one after school at 14th Street and Eighth Avenue between 4:10 and 4:20, so if anyone wants to come, feel free and let's set a meeting place (PM me). I will get my last ride; keep posting more info as you can about the R40s retirement so we an all get our last ride! If we can find out exactly where to get the last set, that'd be great! Keep us posted!

I never rode the R40S, but I'll miss them!

I remember looking out of an R160 (N) climbing the Manhattan Bridge and seeing the giant slanted front end right outside the window, something I'll never forget.

Marks the end of revenue service for a very failed design, but a forward-looking one in many ways nonetheless, a series of cars that had the lower numbers non air-conditioned and the higher numbers air-conditioned, and the beginning of the color signs to the system. The R142/R143 marks the end of the color signs at least for the exterior.

What I think takes away from the look of the slants on the side in their current post GOH appearance is the mismatched window length of the R32/R38 standardized window doors. The original R40 door windows were long and matched the size of the windows, and it was quite a revelation in 1968 when the train first came into service. But it is also responsible for the uncomfortable seats.

Well in this case, I greatly thank God that I managed to catch a set of R-40 Slants at 4:19 PM at Broadway-Nassau when coming home from school. The condemned train arrived at 207th Street at exactly 5:00 PM and left at 5:04 PM. I watched it slowly go and slip into the darkness... Man, I sure am lucky. Every time a car class retires, I always get this strange feeling that tells me they're not gonna be there the next day, and am thus motivated to ride that said consist of cars. And then just as I'm done...BOOM! Retirement! Seriously. The same thing happened with me and the R-38s on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009. I always seem to make it for the retirement party just in time... Sad to see the filthy and rusted junkheaps go, though.;):eek::confused::cry::cry::cry:

Oh, wow i see now :eek:

It's really all over now ;)

I hope I get one tomorrow!

I gotta ride one too. That's another SMEE to the graveyard with the R38s. :o

Remember, there's still 40-70 of them left on the (E)(F)(R). Not slanted, but it's the exact same car otherwise.

Well in this case, I greatly thank God that I managed to catch a set of R-40 Slants at 4:19 PM at Broadway-Nassau when coming home from school. The condemned train arrived at 207th Street at exactly 5:00 PM and left at 5:04 PM. I watched it slowly go and slip into the darkness... Man, I sure am lucky. Every time a car class retires, I always get this strange feeling that tells me they're not gonna be there the next day, and am thus motivated to ride that said consist of cars. And then just as I'm done...BOOM! Retirement! Seriously. The same thing happened with me and the R-38s on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009. I always seem to make it for the retirement party just in time... Sad to see the filthy and rusted junkheaps go, though.;):eek::confused::cry::cry::cry:

i was waiting on that platform at 4:19 LOL

Wow...this is deep. I myself had (and I really emphasize that had), HAD to get on an R40 for the last time. I am so grateful I did.

I ran an errand for my mom and caught a (:o train at Sheepshead Bay at around 5:50 and got to West Fourth Street at around 6:10. I waited about 20 minutes for a Slant. Between 6:10 and 6:30 I saw two R44s heading uptown and two heading downtown. An R46 also headed uptown. Personally, I was disgusted with the R46s, pushing the R40s out into misery. But I saw some lights from south of West Fourth Street. Praying for a Slant, it was a set of slants indeed! I rode it all the way to 207th Street and it headed back down to Lefferts at 7:10 or so. I got to my stop at Utica at 8:03.

Today is indeed a sad day for all subway buffs. One of the most unique subway cars in the entire system will be gone by tonight. But I couldn't be more grateful to catch a Slant and gain the opportunity to ride it for one last time.

R40/R40A (Slants): 1967-2009. Thank you for 42 years of great service. Forever will you be missed.

Remember, there's still 40-70 of them left on the (E)(F)(R). Not slanted, but it's the exact same car otherwise.

But that is why I like the R40 cars (well the slanted ones), for the unique slant design. The R40M's are cool, but they are nothing special. R40 slant was something special to me.

To me the R40M feels like a different car.

Personally, I was disgusted with the R46s, pushing the R40s out into misery.
Lol, no reason to take it personally...and the R46s aren't actually retiring the R40s. It's the R160s but you know that already. Now that I think about it, we're you trying to be poetic?

Lol, no reason to take it personally...and the R46s aren't actually retiring the R40s. It's the R160s but you know that already. Now that I think about it, we're you trying to be poetic?

Hmm...can't say that I was, just writing about how I felt.

Archived