Compare R44 and R46

traildriver

Its probably been described before but can someone tell this newbie the spotting differences between them?

I am used to them on the F line. I recently saw one on the A that had glass or lexan panels around the doorways. Was that a R44? Whatever, it made the car look relatively plush, almost like a LIRR M1. Too bad it no longer had that blue stripe down its side.

The R44s have a matte carbon steel "stripe" along the side of the body. The R46s have a uniform stainless steel appearance. Cars with the lexan panels are R44s.

Thanks for that. I guess that matte finish made it easier to apply the blue paint. So does that mean the R46 never had the blue stripes?

The R44 has the better suspension. The R46 have a ride closer to that of an R32.

Not true. The R46 has the smoothest ride in the system. The R44 rocks from side to side.

Ding ding ding! Round one...FIGHT!

Don't turn this into another car argument. :(

Note, R46s also had glass in their partitions, it was removed in the GOH. The R46 and R44 differ in their armrest by the transverse seats. The R44 is completely enclosed where the R46 is open on the top. The R46 has splits, lines on it's walls between the transverse seats and the doors where the R44 does not.

Regarding ride, the R46 had different trucks when new with shock absorbers. They were replaced with harder riding trucks. Some R46s have bumpier rides than they should, but nothing IMO like an R32. I think both the R44 and R46 are quiet trains and are very pleasant to ride aboard.

The main differences are in the Braking System. The R44 has WABCO , which lets out a air sound like a fart. The R46 has SMEE which takes longer to let air out then the R44.

Both R44 and R46 are presently SMEE. SMEE refers to the braking schedule, WABCO is just the manufacturer of the system.

Note, R46s also had glass in their partitions, it was removed in the GOH. The R46 and R44 differ in their armrest by the transverse seats. The R44 is completely enclosed where the R46 is open on the top. The R46 has splits, lines on it's walls between the transverse seats and the doors where the R44 does not.

Does anyone have a photo showing these spotting differences for comparison?

Archived