Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DJ MC

What's Next?

Yup...the Modifieds are most likely to go next. I can't say I'll miss them that much, but I'll sure as hell miss the R32s. I highly doubt that the R32s will outlast the R46s, but they sure as hell will outlast the R40Ms and R42s. But I think that by the time the R44s are getting the boot, there will still be some R32s left.

R32s outlasted every r-type car in both the BMT/IND/IRT divisions. The Redbirds and R10s. I have to say nice job to the R32s, despite the fact they are very old.

The R32 may not quite have that distinction yet. It hasn't been totally retired yet but most likely will be next year. It'll come close to a few R1s that were in service for 46-47 years. But that was only a few R1s, most had been retired around 1970. What helped the R32 was the GOH, I don't believe the R1 had any overhaul as extensive. That being said, about 2/3rds of the R32s have been retired.

Before the revenue trains the BMT standards were in service over 50 years and the Q type trains almost 65 years.

It really makes st. louis car company look bad and budd company look good. not to say SLCC is a bad company, but the condition of the R32 is superior to those of the later models, perhaps including the r46 to an extent. why is this?

A lot of people are badly smoked by their stainless steel exterior, but in reality they have numerous failures. I just got stuck again on the A a few days at Penn Station due to a ridiculous door problem with the R32. In my opinion, they really have to go now.

You going to blame a door problem on one fleet? Every fleet has it fair share of door issues. The R32's don't need to go anywhere. Stainless steel is far more superior to carbon steel. The 44's are rusting badly, the 32's isn't.
Didn't I tell you that door problems on R32s over the last 10 years stranded me from catching my train back into NJ late at night?

So. Do you really think I care? It isn't my fault you were out late.

Of course not your fault. That's why I don't like the R32s.

You remind me of a certian poster who doesn't like the 32's.
Yeah? Well that doesn't mean I don't like Budd. They are just better with RR stocks like the M1/M3 and the designs of the M2 and Arrow III. The Arrow IIIs and M1s are among my favorite trains for their extreme comfort. At least they don't have broken doors or extreme technical issues in the past.

Just to educate you on one thing. The 32's have ben proven to be well performing subway cars since day one. The R44's were plagued with problems since day one. The TA thought it would be wise to make a change from ordering SMEE type equipment. The same applies to the 46's.

By 1964, SMEE type euipment were proven to be reliable in terms of operation. When it came down to ordering the 68's they went back to the old system or train operation (a deadman and a break handle). My point is, the R44's were proven to be a failed experiment. The 32's proved that stainless steel can be used in future car orders. The 32's will forever be an icon in the New York City subway.

Couldn't agree more. That's why the R32s are 45 and still strong. Personally I'd be amazed if they hit 50 (that's highly unlikely, but let's see :P).

BTW R68s were introduced in 1986, so the above year may be wrong.

Just to educate you on one thing. The 32's have ben proven to be well performing subway cars since day one. The R44's were plagued with problems since day one. The TA thought it would be wise to make a change from ordering SMEE type equipment. The same applies to the 46's.

By 1964, SMEE type euipment were proven to be reliable in terms of operation. When it came down to ordering the 68's they went back to the old system or train operation (a deadman and a break handle). My point is, the R44's were proven to be a failed experiment. The 32's proved that stainless steel can be used in future car orders. The 32's will forever be an icon in the New York City subway.

The R44 and R46 came ahead of their time. They wouldn't have been failing so badly if the T/A knew better than to upgrade and to handle new technology better. The bottom line was that the T/A consisted of a bunch of goons that didn't know what they were ordering. Why else would they leave Budd and diverted to SLCC and Pullman. The R44s and R46s should not be blamed for their failure, it is the solely the T/A's fault.

With the Slants being retired tomorrow which subway cars will be retired next? By the way are they still retiring the R40Ms?

From my knowledge the R40M will be next, the R42 then the R32. Then a few years it will be the R44 and the R46. By 2014 the R68 will be the only IND/BMT OTT car left.

From my knowledge the R40M will be next, the R42 then the R32. Then a few years it will be the R44 and the R46. By 2014 the R68 will be the only IND/BMT OTT car left.
Based on the budget crisis, probably around 2017-2020. Remember, no option orders of the R179 are proposed yet to replace the R46s and the R44s are expected to stay until at least 2015.

This post is telling me that you know nothing. The TA WANTED to test something new to see if it would work. Its called trial-and-error. The BoT took a risk with the R11's. They wanted to test out the benefits of builing cars from stainless steel. I don't want to hear any more excuses.
Then they should've done it like with the failing R110As and R110Bs; one set at a time.

Then they should've done it like with the failing R110As and R110Bs; one set at a time.

They were set on (MTA) property to TEST something new. They were not made to last long, but they got the job done. Plus, they did test the R142s, the R143s, and the R160s. That's why there were and still some trains doing opposite door testing or just a plain not in service run.

Didn't I tell you that door problems on R32s over the last 10 years stranded me from catching my train back into NJ late at night?
Of course not your fault. That's why I don't like the R32s.

One instance doesn't mean the whole fleet has door problems. If anything (in this case, anything), the R42s have worse and more frequent door problems.

BTW, there is a misunderstanding on the word "outlast". Some people are using it in terms of which will retire first. Others are using it on how long a car lasts in service.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

R32 are still great cars

I'm just very unlucky to hit those awful train sets of the R32 fleet every time. Also when the R42s were on the J and M, they were just above average.

I'm just very unlucky to hit those awful train sets of the R32 fleet every time. Also when the R42s were on the J and M, they were just above average.

You've got to be kidding me. R32s look and run better than any other train, at least until the R44s. Why do you think the R32s will retire after the R42s, or R44s even? It's possible because they have a stronger structure.

You've got to be kidding me. R32s look and run better than any other train, at least until the R44s. Why do you think the R32s will retire after the R42s, or R44s even? It's possible because they have a stronger structure.
Stainless Steel cannot last forever.

Stainless Steel cannot last forever.

But at least it lasts longer than carbon steel, which rusts. Stainless steel can last three times as long than carbon steel. By the time the Redbirds and the R38s, R40/R40Ms and R42s have rusted away in the ocean, the R32s will STILL be there!

But at least it lasts longer than carbon steel, which rusts. Stainless steel can last three times as long than carbon steel. By the time the Redbirds and the R38s, R40/R40Ms and R42s have rusted away in the ocean, the R32s will STILL be there!

ahhh mighty R32! Yeah budd company knew what they were doing, those cars were built to last. They may look like a throwback but they are here with the R160s riding the same tracks, speeding along just fine. Imma lmao if they last longer then the R44s...thatll be sad.