Hudson Pier Depot Question

BJC

yeah its still there no evidence of what it was except for the NYCTA M surface logo on the employee entrance. No one is allowed in. it was fenced off last time i passed by 3 days ago. The extension in front where the buses used to park has the bike path replacing that.

That pier used to be part of the US Lines Merchant Marine service back in the day. My father served those ships from those piers. The Miller Highway was the west side highway and the Highline was still running freight. It was closed because it wasnt up to ventilation standards like new bus depots are today. There wasnt any exhaust ventilation in there which caused many Bus workers to get sick and eventually some died because of their illnesses. That pier was never designed to be a depot it was sort of converted that way... Cheap MTA.

That pier used to be part of the US Lines Merchant Marine service back in the day. My father served those ships from those piers. The Miller Highway was the west side highway and the Highline was still running freight. It was closed because it wasnt up to ventilation standards like new bus depots are today. There wasnt any exhaust ventilation in there which caused many Bus workers to get sick and eventually some died because of their illnesses. That pier was never designed to be a depot it was sort of converted that way... Cheap MTA.

I don't think even with today's ventilation standard would have any effect on the black smoke those old buses used to put out.

Archived