What IF....?

R10 2952

Wouldn't Budd have still made the car bodies? GE was not Budd.

What if Budd had won contracts after the R32?

"Wouldn't Budd have still made the car bodies? GE was not Budd."

It was the trucks though

If Budd won contracts after R32, then nothing would be so cheaply built :P

Then they'd be made by Shitman.....err Pullman and would have suffered truck cracks too

IDK if you're kidding or not but the R46's only had cracks in their trucks because they were supposed to be the NTT of the 70's and the trucks were designed for use on ballast (I think?) roadbeds, and the concrete (I think? i might have switched the 2 i just mentioned) roadbeds used on the NYC subway generated much more wear and tear on the trucks than ballast did.

What would the system be like if we still had all our old trains?

Constant break downs and high expenses for repairing them. Not to mention eventually the parts would all be gone and they would need to cannibalize some cars to keep the rest running. Also depends, which era cars are you saying would still be around? R9's or such?

Constant break downs and high expenses for repairing them. Not to mention eventually the parts would all be gone and they would need to cannibalize some cars to keep the rest running. Also depends, which era cars are you saying would still be around? R9's or such?

Nuh-uh, the R26s-R40s and the redbirds

R1-9 is too old and would break dsown constantly..Look at the ones in the Transit Museum.

Ok.

I don't see how the R9's break down constantly, those are the ones always used on the vintage train runs. It would be nice if the IRT SMEE's ran as often as those R9's.

I'm not talking about like immobilizing breakdowns, but did you ever notice how sometimes they have to pull the door closed?

Nuh-uh, the R26s-R40s and the redbirds

R1-9 is too old and would break dsown constantly..Look at the ones in the Transit Museum.

Age is not a reason for something to break down. Poor/incorrect maintenance is a reason for why things break down.

Look at the Lo-V at BERA for example. As old as your grandmother and still running strong. Why? Because they do a damn good job at maintaining their fleet there.

Some R40-42's have that problem with at least one door being stuck in the closed position. That's bad maintainence or the motor to close the door.

I noticed a few R160's on the (E) experiencing the same problem (doors "stuck" or locked in the closed position); clearly motors may not be the only problem. In the case of the (E) I surmise it's the overcrowding and possible door holding that messed up those doors...

Wouldn't Budd have still made the car bodies? GE was not Budd.

What if Budd had won contracts after the R32?

I was referring to the fact that GE made propulsion systems and motors. If only the R32-R42 and R46-R62 utilized Westinghouse Propulsion systems with Westinghouse motors.

Archived