A few questions concerning NYCT Maintenance Procedures

NovaBus 5121

Regarding New York City Transit, I've wondered about a few things.

For one:

1.Does buses go through routine maintenance similiar that of the subway system? Every 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles? Every 60-90 days?

2.When are buses scheduled to get a repaint? Is it based on miles or the condition. I ask this ask I rode 6517 today and it was a few miles above 125,000 miles (It was whitebacked not too long ago). Other hybrids look like they need a repaint but miles wise, I've seen those buses range from 50,000 to 80,000 miles so thats something I'm inquiring about.

3. When do buses get a general overhaul? Is it 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 years of age? Is it done based on the bus's estimated retirement. Ex: 6 years on a CNG, retirement after 18 years. Bus gets overhauled at 6 year mark so it lasts another 10-12 years.

4. Last question, I'm well aware that the two central maintenance facilities are Zerega and Grand Ave but which depots go to which mainteance facilities (I would presume MABSTOA would go to Zerega and the SI division for example would go to Grand Ave).

Answers to any of the questions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regarding New York City Transit, I've wondered about a few things.

For one:

4. Last question, I'm well aware that the two central maintenance facilities are Zerega and Grand Ave but which depots go to which mainteance facilities (I would presume MABSTOA would go to Zerega and the SI division for example would go to Grand Ave).

Answers to any of the questions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I haven't really heard of buses being sent to Grand Av for Maintenance. As for SI when they trash their buses (usually twice a day) they more often then not go to Zerega because something utterly ridiculous occurred to the bus placing it in a horrible condition (i.e. the MCI's spontaneously combusting the past 2 weeks)

Maintenance on buses is pretty much a day to day thing, with the exception of the schedule operation inspection at every "x" miles interval. I'm not sure about the mileage for repaints, but the miles you see on the hub is not the exact bus mileage. Once in a while the hubometer would break and a new one starting at zero would be installed.

As for the CMF locations, both serve OA/TA and MTA Bus.

I appreciate the information from "Q43 Floral Park" and "armax1980". I didn't realize that the hubometer is wrong at times. I noticed on one NG from Flatbush that I rode 3-5 days ago (and i've seen it a few times) with only 112 miles on it, which I knew wouldn't make sense.

Archived