Two Years Later, Subway Cell Service Plan Still On Hold

mark1447

(MTA) State of New York

When the MTA first approved a deal for cell phone service in September of 2007, it said six Manhattan stations would be wired within two years. But now with that deadline just a few months away, not only are none of those stations wired, installation work has not even begun. That's because the MTA never gave the contractor the official go-ahead, or Notice To Proceed.

"This doesn't even seem like they have to go back to square one. It sounds like they never left the drawing board to begin with," said City Councilman John Liu.

When Liu held a hearing in October 2007, MTA officials said they expected the Notice To Proceed would be issued within two months.

But the MTA now says the contractor, a consortium of companies called Transit Wireless, never met the required conditions, which included demonstrating sufficient financing. Transit Wireless had no comment but the MTA acknowledged the group was hindered by the economic downturn.

"Unfortunately, the private sector response now to it, given the economy, has caused that to be stalled, not surprising. Again, just because of the overall economy," said Former MTA Executive Director & CEO Lee Sander. "So the capacity is there, and hopefully the market will come back, and we will have that pilot move forward."

In a statement released Thursday, the MTA said, "We continue to work with the contractor and hope that a resolution can be reached in the near future. The MTA remains committed to providing cellular service in underground subway stations."

The agency, however, did not provide a new timetable.

While cell phones are already a way of life on the above-ground parts of the system, the project would have wired all 277 underground stations over six years, starting with the 14th and 23rd Street stations on the A, C, and E lines; the 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue on the L train; 14th Street on the 1, 2, and 3 lines; and 14th Street on the F and V lines.

The MTA can't lose any money on the project, since the contractor is responsible for all the installation costs. But in the long run, the MTA was actually supposed to make money on the project, with the contractor paying millions of dollars a year for the right to operate the network.

Source + Video Clip: http://ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=100264

New York 1

June 4th, 2009

Typical red-tape laden bureaucratic foot dragging.

Maybe Mayor Mike Hylan was reincarnated ;p

with the contractor paying millions of dollars a year for the right to operate the network.

But wait, if I were to use my phone in the subway, I (well, my dad) would have to pay extra on the bill? Why else would they be willing to pay to operate service?

But wait, if I were to use my phone in the subway, I (well, my dad) would have to pay extra on the bill? Why else would they be willing to pay to operate service?

I hope not, but it could happen seeing that TA is paying for all this bs and now they want something in return. For that Id just use the Cell on an EL

It would be awesome for texting, 3G stuff etc, can't really hear on most trains anyways. I'd like it for checking in on people w/ calls here and there, otherwise i'd stick to mms/data/text etc. Would be good for emergencies & delays.

- A

I say good riddance. Can you imagine how bad it would be? people would be too busy on their cellphones to move out of the doors, get on the train, get out, etc..etc.

Thank you. People need to realize that you do not need to be accessible 24/7. Have a life. Quit texting with your BFFL's and gossiping in public and get out there and just do something with your life.

Overuse of phones is pathetic. Especially those damn blackberries, or as I call them dingleberrys

Thank you. People need to realize that you do not need to be accessible 24/7. Have a life. Quit texting with your BFFL's and gossiping in public and get out there and just do something with your life.

Overuse of phones is pathetic. Especially those damn blackberries, or as I call them dingleberrys

I agree, half the time my phone isn't even charged. I wish I was a teenager the 80's and 90's, not needing the burden of a cell phone.

I agree, half the time my phone isn't even charged. I wish I was a teenager the 80's and 90's, not needing the burden of a cell phone.

Same, would have been fun. Would have had to put up with a lot less drama and crap from girls in school too...

I was about 14 in 2000 so I was independent enough for about 4 years before that to experience "life without cell phones" and it was a lot of fun. You used pay phones, met in person on street corners with good directions, and when you made plans you SHOWED UP ON TIME...towards the end I had a beeper but that was just to tell you if someone wanted you didn't mean you had to pick up ;). I miss those days kind of...a lot of fun and a lot less BS. of course after 9/11 everyone HAD to have a cell phone...never mind that during 9/11 half of them didn't even work because of call volume overloading the system...

Adding cell service to the subway will just boost the "tech happiness" of yuppies everywhere and they will all start texting each other about nothing at the same time..i can see it now... "OMG! Im on the train!!!" *smack*

Adding cell service to the subway will just boost the "tech happiness" of yuppies everywhere and they will all start texting each other about nothing at the same time..i can see it now... "OMG! Im on the train!!!" *smack*

OMG 0m9 n0 w@7 ya gurl friend

you know what I also hate? People on facebook make their status, pin: dg7328ensy3a, over and over again. Wow! you have a blackberry! cool! I respect you now! omg omg

one time i made mt status, pin: idon'thaveone

OMG 0m9 n0 w@7 ya gurl friend

you know what I also hate? People on facebook make their status, pin: dg7328ensy3a, over and over again. Wow! you have a blackberry! cool! I respect you now! omg omg

one time i made mt status, pin: idon'thaveone

yup i hate blackberry's they are not cool and the browser on them is crap. I've posted wirelessly here on them (my awful accounting job gave me one so they can bother me with emails 24/7) before when i've been busy but the browser is clumsy. "oh it's a phone" i know that, i'm not expecting it to be great but yet people go nuts every time a new one comes out and the browsing is still the same and slow but ZOMG this one has a new Game!

i wouldn't have a blackberry if my work didn't pay for it, and even though i do have it, it sits idle most of the time. hell half the time i don't even take it to work.

facebook too has gone out of control. if any of you remember the early days, you'd actually make friends with people on there you talked to because chances are you went to the same school, or you had something in common, and everyone was real (no sex offenders signing up) because they had to give their school address to get on. heck, you could even friend random hot girls in your classes and just wind up getting to know them through private messaging and after that hey you never know. now all of that is GONE, it's just a place for people to continue to think that the world revolves around them and that people actually give a rat's ass when they post about how they got a blackbery that it actually makes them feel good when people write "OMGggg im so jellous (sic)" "luckkyyyy" "i want one too!" and garbage like that.

and people sit there and say they don't want advertising but yet they are the same sellouts who heard about yuwie and started posting and sending their links all over faceboook thinking they're going to get rich 2 cents at a time. ha ha, keep trying, you'd think they'd teach you in college you can't get rich doing scams. they don't want ads but they are willing to sell out and advertise hmm. no wonder facebook has just become a giant ad, even after they promised everyone every step of the way that "no no no...we'll be different...we promise" they're just the same

pathetic...

/end rant

yup i hate blackberry's they are not cool and the browser on them is crap. I've posted wirelessly here on them (my awful accounting job gave me one so they can bother me with emails 24/7) before when i've been busy but the browser is clumsy. "oh it's a phone" i know that, i'm not expecting it to be great but yet people go nuts every time a new one comes out and the browsing is still the same and slow but ZOMG this one has a new Game!

i wouldn't have a blackberry if my work didn't pay for it, and even though i do have it, it sits idle most of the time. hell half the time i don't even take it to work.

facebook too has gone out of control. if any of you remember the early days, you'd actually make friends with people on there you talked to because chances are you went to the same school, or you had something in common, and everyone was real (no sex offenders signing up) because they had to give their school address to get on. heck, you could even friend random hot girls in your classes and just wind up getting to know them through private messaging and after that hey you never know. now all of that is GONE, it's just a place for people to continue to think that the world revolves around them and that people actually give a rat's ass when they post about how they got a blackbery that it actually makes them feel good when people write "OMGggg im so jellous (sic)" "luckkyyyy" "i want one too!" and garbage like that.

and people sit there and say they don't want advertising but yet they are the same sellouts who heard about yuwie and started posting and sending their links all over faceboook thinking they're going to get rich 2 cents at a time. ha ha, keep trying, you'd think they'd teach you in college you can't get rich doing scams. they don't want ads but they are willing to sell out and advertise hmm. no wonder facebook has just become a giant ad, even after they promised everyone every step of the way that "no no no...we'll be different...we promise" they're just the same

pathetic...

/end rant

Our generation is in a big decline.

And about blackberries, I'd so much rather have an iPhone or a Palm Pre. I bet those little scroll wheels get stuck and dirty, and those tiny keys? Ugh

~~Sorry for getting off topic everyone~~

I'm no teenieboper, sometimes leaving fare control just isnt an option, would be nice to have the flexibility. Just speaking from my own personal experience. Besides who would use their phone in the subway anyways unless they needed to for something important. I put my camera down for 3 minutes and it's gone now, i think you guys are over-reacting a bit. There are spots, like at the bridge portals, where there would still be coverage gaps. I am not in 100% all the time communication with everyone on my contact list, i actually would love this to check customer contact & other email & service advisories, as well as keep in touch with my woman since i rarely get to see her.

- A

I'm no teenieboper, sometimes leaving fare control just isnt an option, would be nice to have the flexibility. Just speaking from my own personal experience. Besides who would use their phone in the subway anyways unless they needed to for something important. I put my camera down for 3 minutes and it's gone now, i think you guys are over-reacting a bit. There are spots, like at the bridge portals, where there would still be coverage gaps. I am not in 100% all the time communication with everyone on my contact list, i actually would love this to check customer contact & other email & service advisories, as well as keep in touch with my woman since i rarely get to see her.

- A

Yeah thats true, it would be convenient for a lot of people. But you gotta admit, those yuppie people will get annoying :mad:

Yeah thats true, it would be convenient for a lot of people. But you gotta admit, those yuppie people will get annoying :mad:

Try riding (NJT) from princeton junction on. *barf* Not only are they loud on the phone, but they are loud talking in general, and think they have to broadcast "OH YES I WENT TO THAT ISLAND TOO ON THE CRUISE BUT I DIDNT LIKE THE BLA BLA BLA". ... please... :cry::confused::mad: I don't need to know about your overpaid meaningless life lady/sir.

I have a feeling the fear of being knocked out or phone hit outa your hand will keep people in check. :cool:

- A

Besides who would use their phone in the subway anyways unless they needed to for something important.
The same people that continue to use their cellphones while driving even though it's illegal.

Try riding (NJT) from princeton junction on. *barf* Not only are they loud on the phone, but they are loud talking in general, and think they have to broadcast "OH YES I WENT TO THAT ISLAND TOO ON THE CRUISE BUT I DIDNT LIKE THE BLA BLA BLA". ... please... :cry::confused::mad: I don't need to know about your overpaid meaningless life lady/sir.

I have a feeling the fear of being knocked out or phone hit outa your hand will keep people in check. :cool:

- A

Exactly the problem. Just because YOU will be courteous doesn't mean anyone else will be and the rest of us will have to put up with it. And believe me I'd love to show off my fastball with some of these people's phones into a a wall but all that will get you is a frivoulous lawsuit, possibly even in small claims courts because people today have become p***ies and refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions, especially when it's deserved :mad: they just stomp their feet and huff and puff and make threats they can't back up while just inconveniencing a lot of people in the process

Maybe Mayor Mike Hylan was reincarnated ;p

There would be no extra charge for using a cell phone in the subway as you are still in your home calling area.

Exactly the problem. Just because YOU will be courteous doesn't mean anyone else will be and the rest of us will have to put up with it. And believe me I'd love to show off my fastball with some of these people's phones into a a wall but all that will get you is a frivoulous lawsuit, possibly even in small claims courts because people today have become p***ies and refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions, especially when it's deserved :mad: they just stomp their feet and huff and puff and make threats they can't back up while just inconveniencing a lot of people in the process

It doesnt matter, people use their cell phones on the elevated trains and buses all of the time, it wouldnt be any different. You mean to tell me you ride the subway for peace and tranquility? I can bring up stuff that goes on in the subways that totally makes the train ride horrendus compared to someone just blabbing away on a cell phone. Homeless people picking and scratching their asses in front of you begging for money comes to mind. My wife almost threw up one day when this guy started scratching his crotch over and over sitting across from us. The subway is just meant to take you to from point A to point B, its not supposed to be pleasent due to the fact that people who cant afford other means of transportation take the subway and some of those people are nasty individuals and others dont even pay to get into the system and make it worse. Cell phone use isnt going to degrade the quality of the subway ride no more than it already is.

My opinion: Carry out with this plan.

Just because many teenagers use their phones for bs doesn't mean the rest of the population will. And don't you hate it when you meet up with your buddies and they change their location and try to call you, but there's no service? This happens to me all the time....from Washington Heights to Coney Island.

It doesnt matter, people use their cell phones on the elevated trains and buses all of the time, it wouldnt be any different. You mean to tell me you ride the subway for peace and tranquility? I can bring up stuff that goes on in the subways that totally makes the train ride horrendus compared to someone just blabbing away on a cell phone. Homeless people picking and scratching their asses in front of you begging for money comes to mind. My wife almost threw up one day when this guy started scratching his crotch over and over sitting across from us. The subway is just meant to take you to from point A to point B, its not supposed to be pleasent due to the fact that people who cant afford other means of transportation take the subway and some of those people are nasty individuals and others dont even pay to get into the system and make it worse. Cell phone use isnt going to degrade the quality of the subway ride no more than it already is.

No it absolutely will. Just because people can use their phones above ground doesn't make it any less obnoxious when they do, all this does is extend it...particularly into Manhattan for all the yuppies which with the exception of Dyckman - 225th and 125th on the (1), is entirely underground.

And there's no reason the subway shouldn't be comfortable. The founders of the BMT wanted it that way. I don't ride for "peace and tranquility", everyone knows that, but it is an enormous inconvenience to have some a-hole next to you screaming into the phone about what they're wearing tonight or how much they had to drink last night.

Not to mention you really think people are going to step into the train or not block the doors if they are d***ing around with their blackberrys? they're just going to get in the way. They're also going to be distracted (of course) and do stupid things like fall in the tracks, step in the gap, etc.

The bus alone should be proof of how obnoxious people on cell phones can be. Hell I saw one a**hole on a bus who decided he wanted to have an HOUR AND A HALF loud conversation on the bus about Senegal.

In a subway with no cell phone service, that just ends. Reminds me: after the T/O test some stupid broad was complaining about a summons she got years ago for violating open container because her and her underage friends thought after they got busted that it'd be a good idea to run from the cop. Blah blah blah on and on it's not fair waaa. But soon as we got to Hunterspoint Ave! Off! "going underground no more service k bye" YES!!!

Add this and she'll be talking all the way to Times Square and halfway to her next transfer. And EVERYONE ELSE in the car will have to put up with it.

My opinion: Carry out with this plan.

Just because many teenagers use their phones for bs doesn't mean the rest of the population will. And don't you hate it when you meet up with your buddies and they change their location and try to call you, but there's no service? This happens to me all the time....from Washington Heights to Coney Island.

Thats the point..before cell phones people didn't do that because being an obnoxioius big flake meant you were going to piss off your friends and lose them forever. Now the constant being in touch has turned people into indecisive selfish pussies who love to change the plan at the last minute and "you can't get mad cuz i told you" never mind if you are already standing somewhere else waiting for them. It's all about them and if there's a problem well tough because it's all about what's easiest for THEM, not you. Give and take is dead.

Average subway ride is what...20 minutes? People REALLY can't be out of touch for 20 minutes? There is nothing in this world that is THAT important. You can wait.

Plus what about all that other stuff, like maintaining the fleet. Or rehabbing collapsing Brooklyn BMT stations. Or the Second Avenue Subway.

Screw it, a bunch of yuppies wanna talk on the phone, that's more important.

:mad::tdown:

I say good riddance. Can you imagine how bad it would be? people would be too busy on their cellphones to move out of the doors, get on the train, get out, etc..etc.

I absolutely friggin agree with both statements.

I had that pleasure...I didn't have a cell phone till i turned 17. And nowadays they're so frigging expensive. Where they make their money is the damn text messages. It pisses me off when people try to have entire conversations by text message.

Thats the point..before cell phones people didn't do that because being an obnoxioius big flake meant you were going to piss off your friends and lose them forever. Now the constant being in touch has turned people into indecisive selfish pussies who love to change the plan at the last minute and "you can't get mad cuz i told you" never mind if you are already standing somewhere else waiting for them. It's all about them and if there's a problem well tough because it's all about what's easiest for THEM, not you. Give and take is dead.

Average subway ride is what...20 minutes? People REALLY can't be out of touch for 20 minutes? There is nothing in this world that is THAT important. You can wait.

Plus what about all that other stuff, like maintaining the fleet. Or rehabbing collapsing Brooklyn BMT stations. Or the Second Avenue Subway.

Screw it, a bunch of yuppies wanna talk on the phone, that's more important.

:mad::tdown:

You know I wasn't going go into that one but yeah that's also a peeve of mine. btw...have any good freak outs lately? >.>;;

There would be no extra charge for using a cell phone in the subway as you are still in your home calling area.

If that were true, why would any cell company want to have wires down there? They have to pay the (MTA) to even have the rights to put it down there. After that, of they're not collecting charges, why even do it? The cell company gets no benefit whatsoever. The cell phone company would keep paying the (MTA) and not get anything in return. I'm sorry, thats just not believable.

Archived