R-110A

bentton316

I remember when I was little back in 95 I saw R110A in testing at 14th St on the (2), since was child i thought when doors opened on the other side of platform i thought robots were taking over the train lol. Anyways The R110A(R130)/R110B(R131) were prototypes for the future of New Technology Train (NTT) Cars, which contact for both R130/131 were intoduced in 1989. Testing was from about 1992 to 1997 which were removed from testing due to mechanical problems. Which then the R142s became the first NTT.

Anyways for videos, i dont think there is any, and if there was I would love to see, for pics here you go:

http://nycsubway.org/cars/r110a.html

If you ever want to see the R110As you can head to its home yard on the (2) at the E239th Street Yard, Just get off Nereid Avenue and head to the southern part of the yard, you will spot it. I been there a few times, last time with backline(User here). For R110B its at 207 Yard, but may not be seen well, unless on the (1) 215 Station south, which can be seen little

I do wish they were in service, its not fair for it to dye at a yard for yrs. At least make it a tour or run of 42nd Shuttle.. But you know how the T/A..

They weren't just testing, they (the R110B) actually did make it into service on the (C), and it was pulled out of service in 2000.

yea i forgot the 131s were in service, I forgot about the 130s...

I don't believe that their are any videos for the R110A, but their are photos on nycsubway.org.

The R110A are stored in the 239 Street yard in The Bronx. You can take the (2) to 241 Street or Nereid Avenue. It's just too bad that they are just sitting there in the yard...

thanks guys. yeah i know it's located in the e. 239th st. yard, i saw the pics, and like one video of it just sitting there. i remember when it was in service back in the days. i didn't know anything about test trains, or stuff like that. all i knew was that was the first (2) i saw that wasn't a redbird. in fact, i always called it the "silver (2)" lol. i think it even ran on the (5) every now and then. back then i lived in co-op city, and i would go to a little school just located off of allerton av. so that's how i always got to see it. i rode on it 2 times myself. i thought it was the coolest train ever, well until the R-142A's came along! lol

<6>

The R110a looks so much better than the R142.

I agree with you. The R142/A body is very bland and barely has any shape. I think the next generation IRT cars should be built like PA-5's.

I can't wait for the R142/A to retire (I know, thats a long time from now..)

The R110a looks so much better than the R142.
I couldn't agree more! I hated the fact that they got rid of the transversed seats as with the R142/As as well the flipdot that can change to other colors such as green and purple.

i think they should ask for more orders of the R110a, and put them exclusively on the (2), only because i remember them testing them on the (2). but i really do like the R-142a's though, i think there madd cool

<6>

umm ya, like that would happen... The R130s uses old parts, not to mention there computer software is older then the R142s. So that will never happen/ Plus where would they be stored? R62/As isnt as old.

I do like the design of teh 110A tho , it just needs a little more tweaking and it gd to go :tup:

The should have stuck with the style of the R11A for the R142 or save it for the R188.

The R188 has to look exactly like the R142/A. The reason being that the r188's are going to be extra 'B' cars along a set of R142A's. It would be silly to have them look any different.

i was just curious to know if anyone has any pics or vids of the R-110a when it was in service back in the day! i know if i had my way, i'd get em' fixed back up, do some minor changes, and put em back in service

<6>

Why would you fix up one train ? There was only 1 train for the IRT and 1 for the BMT/IND and they were used for testing purposes. They weren't a production class of cars but only prototypes for the NTT.

Why would you fix up one train ? There was only 1 train for the IRT and 1 for the BMT/IND and they were used for testing purposes. They weren't a production class of cars but only prototypes for the NTT.

One word: foam. While it would be cool to see one of them back in revenue service, the reality is that it's not happening. I wonder if they could get a car into the Transit Museum as a piece on how the NTTs came to be...

Archived