Planned/Unplanned Detours or Serivce Changes

FamousNYLover

They haven't listed the changes for Manhattan bus routes yet.

Also, how will express buses via New Jersey operate? Holland to West Street downtown and loop around back up around Battery Place as to not skip any stops, or just go straight onto 6th Avenue from there?

They haven't listed the changes for Manhattan bus routes yet.

Also, how will express buses via New Jersey operate? Holland to West Street downtown and loop around back up around Battery Place as to not skip any stops, or just go straight onto 6th Avenue from there?

Yes, they'll operate via New Jersey as they normally do when the Verrazano and/or Battery Tunnel are shut down. Takes forever too. Usually on the X10, the last stop is Slosson and Schmidts Lane and then the bus turns down Slosson and comes back around onto Reon Avenue instead of taking the SIE and the service road towards the Verrazano so that it can loop around and take the SIE from there (from Narrows Road North/Reon Avenue) and then via New Jersey.

The X1 I believe goes over to Fingerboard and then loops around on the side streets to make its way over to the SIE, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't stop over by Fingerboard either and instead just make its way from Steuben Street/Hylan Blvd over to the SIE. (On other occasions on the X10 when we couldn't make certain stops on the island due to traffic or detours, we've had to use the SIE or the service road to go all the way down to so far, loop around to make one stop say over by Targee Street and then loop back around again over by Fingerboard and to do the regular route to drop off. We also have used weird side streets and meander about just to make a simple detour like when there that huge sink hole over by Richmond Rd some months back.) Sounds insane, but this is one reason why I can never picture Staten Island with tons of subways or light rails because it is too small to support them and the streets just meander about into nothing anyway.

Back to this detour... Then once we make it through the mess of a traffic jam through the Holland Tunel, we have to take West Street back down to the first stop and loop around to Trinity (on the X10 anyway) and then regular from there. I'm annoyed that they want to have yet another marathon to screw up traffic even more. :mad: :tdown:

I try to NYC Marathon Bus Detour Map for Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan on Google Map and some detour confuses me, so I gave up.

I don't believe 86th St Transverse Rd will be closed.

From my experience, M2, M3, M4, M79, M86, M96, M101, M102, M103, M106 uses 86th St Transverse Rd on last year.

http://www.nycmarathon.org/road_closures.htm

• 7 months later...
Bus customers using routes in lower Manhattan are advised that due to the President’s visit, bus routes in the area will be subject to detours during the late afternoon and late evening on Monday, June 4th.

Service diversion will be put into place on the M5, M15, M15SBS and the M20 from approximately 3:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. and then again from approximately 11:00 p.m. until 11:30 p.m. The South Ferry area and the segment of Water Street between Broad and Whitehall Streets are the affected areas.

Bus riders should use the MTA website mta.info for service updates and tune into local radio for transit and traffic reports.

http://www.mta.info/news/

This for Obama? My man on the M2 was saying something about that and the city was filled with cops all around his usual routes, wonder if that's related.

Whoops, reading is critical... Sounds like a mess though.

• 2 months later...

Just checked the detours on the MTA website. Sounds like most of the bus routes will operate in two sections, but that is never indicated. I think the statement that corresponding stops will be made on the detours is confusing. I think they just shoud have stated which routes will operate in two sections before describing the reroutes. Do you think how they did it was clear?

Also, I heard on the radio that trains wil not stop along Eastern Parkway. Don't see that on the website. They only talk about a bus shuttle from Sutter to New Lots.

Why should they? They aren't chartering their services. Does that me that someone has to pay when the (MTA) decides to close down those stations today, on July 4th and on New Years?

Not for the closure of stations and other crowd control, for bus detours and associated costs. The city was talking about charging major events like the marathon a large fee to cover costs, some of that should go to the MTA.

Not for the closure of stations and other crowd control, for bus detours and associated costs. The city was talking about charging major events like the marathon a large fee to cover costs, some of that should go to the MTA.

The thing is that with the marathon, it probably brings in revenue to the city (people staying at hotels and then paying the city tax on top). I agree that they should charge a fee, but that might be part of the reason they aren't doing so yet.

Just checked the detours on the MTA website. Sounds like most of the bus routes will operate in two sections, but that is never indicated. I think the statement that corresponding stops will be made on the detours is confusing. I think they just shoud have stated which routes will operate in two sections before describing the reroutes. Do you think how they did it was clear?

Also, I heard on the radio that trains wil not stop along Eastern Parkway. Don't see that on the website. They only talk about a bus shuttle from Sutter to New Lots.

I've wrote in before and complained about the lack of clarity of their detours. It really needs to be more detailed. I like being able to avoid detours so that I don't have to be inconvenienced if possible, but somehow they manage to screw up. Last night for example, they posted that the BxM2 would be detoured until 20:00 because of the Brazilian festivities on 6th Avenue. Okay no problem. I'll avoid the mess. Took the BxM1 in.... Coming home since it was late I thought I could take the BxM2 home so I walk to 41st & 6th only to find that buses are still being detoured, three hours after what was noted on the MTA website. Luckily there was a dispatcher there, because the MTA website no longer had the detour even shown. I asked him if the BxM2 was still being detoured and all he could tell me was that buses were being detoured up 8th Ave. There was no sign anywhere indicating where the bus was stopping, and I only had enough time to walk to 8th & 42nd so I literally had to walk back and forth looking for it, between 42nd and 39th street roughly, not sure where it would turn at and then I spotted it stuck in traffic by 40th street and walked over and the driver let me on luckily.

The problem is two things... The detours are not accurate #1 and they also don't list all of the detours happening, even though they should know about them in advance. Really annoying. Had I know that the bus was still being detoured, I would've just made my way up to 63rd and Broadway and waited there.

They talk about cutting back on staff... Well this is one area where they need more people because I imagine they have maybe one or two people tops and no one checks what they post.

Did anyone check the mta info website to verify that the route changes included all the routes?

I checked it at about noon and there was no entry for the B/44 Nostrand Avenue route which indicated to me that once again they did not bother to look at a map to check for all the routes that cross Eastern Parkway.

I sent an E-mail and received the usual 15 day wait for something that is happening today! What else is new?

In fact, it would have been easier to send the buses and their passengers to the Parkside Avenue Q station and let them transfer to the Franklin Avenue Shuttle at Prospect Park to take to Fulton Street to the A train and connect with the bus routes that were truncated at St. John's Place. The B/41 could end its route at Parkside Avenue as the Q train provides the service on Flatbush Avenue downtown.

Oh by the way did anyone check the route disruptions for the "J Ouvert" parade that happened last night and early this morning? The B/41 was operating southbound via Prospect Park West and then via the B/68 route to Cortelyou Road and Flatbush Avenue then via regular route. It would have been easier to transfer the passengers to the Q train at Cortelyou Road for the rest of the trip via Flatbush Avenue instead of something that was miles away from the original route. For the record there were other mistakes as well listed for this parade involving other routes but this was the most obvious one.

Did anyone check the mta info website to verify that the route changes included all the routes?

I checked it at about noon and there was no entry for the B/44 Nostrand Avenue route which indicated to me that once again they did not bother to look at a map to check for all the routes that cross Eastern Parkway.

I sent an E-mail and received the usual 15 day wait for something that is happening today! What else is new?

In fact, it would have been easier to send the buses and their passengers to the Parkside Avenue Q station and let them transfer to the Franklin Avenue Shuttle at Prospect Park to take to Fulton Street to the A train and connect with the bus routes that were truncated at St. John's Place. The B/41 could end its route at Parkside Avenue as the Q train provides the service on Flatbush Avenue downtown.

Oh by the way did anyone check the route disruptions for the "J Ouvert" parade that happened last night and early this morning? The B/41 was operating southbound via Prospect Park West and then via the B/68 route to Cortelyou Road and Flatbush Avenue then via regular route. It would have been easier to transfer the passengers to the Q train at Cortelyou Road for the rest of the trip via Flatbush Avenue instead of something that was miles away from the original route. For the record there were other mistakes as well listed for this parade involving other routes but this was the most obvious one.

I'm glad you complained. More people need to because the whole point of posting the detours is to help customers get to their destination with ease and avoid the stress and aggravation that comes with detours. Now I understand things happen and changes happen, but events happening in advance must be better dealt with, otherwise it defeats the purpose of even posting the detours.

I've wrote in before and complained about the lack of clarity of their detours. It really needs to be more detailed. I like being able to avoid detours so that I don't have to be inconvenienced if possible, but somehow they manage to screw up. Last night for example, they posted that the BxM2 would be detoured until 20:00 because of the Brazilian festivities on 6th Avenue. Okay no problem. I'll avoid the mess. Took the BxM1 in.... Coming home since it was late I thought I could take the BxM2 home so I walk to 41st & 6th only to find that buses are still being detoured, three hours after what was noted on the MTA website. Luckily there was a dispatcher there, because the MTA website no longer had the detour even shown. I asked him if the BxM2 was still being detoured and all he could tell me was that buses were being detoured up 8th Ave. There was no sign anywhere indicating where the bus was stopping, and I only had enough time to walk to 8th & 42nd so I literally had to walk back and forth looking for it, between 42nd and 39th street roughly, not sure where it would turn at and then I spotted it stuck in traffic by 40th street and walked over and the driver let me on luckily.

The problem is two things... The detours are not accurate #1 and they also don't list all of the detours happening, even though they should know about them in advance. Really annoying. Had I know that the bus was still being detoured, I would've just made my way up to 63rd and Broadway and waited there.

They talk about cutting back on staff... Well this is one area where they need more people because I imagine they have maybe one or two people tops and no one checks what they post.

I had the same problem with the QM5 yesterday...the website said "detour between 42 and 57 street" but on the next line it said "buses detoured to Madison Avenue", i.e. it was detoured from 34th street, not 42nd street. It says the buses were making corresponding stops on Madison, but what really happened is that people had to wave their arms like windmills to get the B/O to stop because there were no signs saying which part of the street was the new bus stop. And of course there was not a single dispatcher in sight.

I'm glad you complained. More people need to because the whole point of posting the detours is to help customers get to their destination with ease and avoid the stress and aggravation that comes with detours. Now I understand things happen and changes happen, but events happening in advance must be better dealt with, otherwise it defeats the purpose of even posting the detours.

They probably don't give it much attention since this parade and other annual events lie the marathon only happen once a year. But you are correct they need to provide more accurate and more complete info.

I was on the Utica Avenue bus on Labor Day when they had the first parade when I still lived in East Flatbush (1976 or 1977) and the detours were unbelievable. Rather than operating routes in two sections which makes sense, the buses tried to beat the parade or go around it at the end. The B46 I was on detoured all the way to Nostrand Avenue. The bus driver continued to reassure everyone not to worry and that he will get back to the route. Later in the day I hung around at Empire and Utica and watched B41s, B44s and B47 (now called the B43), detour all the way to Utica at the end of the parade.

They really need to provide beaks every 30 minutes for buses to cross on the bus streets. There is no reason why the entire borough has to be inconvenienced. I don't know how many years it took until they started the two section idea, but I know they isn't do it for at least the first five years, because the B49 just would stop running for a few hours.

I had the same problem with the QM5 yesterday...the website said "detour between 42 and 57 street" but on the next line it said "buses detoured to Madison Avenue", i.e. it was detoured from 34th street, not 42nd street. It says the buses were making corresponding stops on Madison, but what really happened is that people had to wave their arms like windmills to get the B/O to stop because there were no signs saying which part of the street was the new bus stop. And of course there was not a single dispatcher in sight.

I actually saw a QM5 yesterday coming down Madison and as you said there were no signs anywhere. When I complained the last time I had a major problem, I requested that they added more information, and believe it or not they have, BUT making the corresponding stops nonsense means nothing because people don't know where to stand since there is nothing posted anywhere. The other thing is sometimes they actually do post signs, but only where the normal bus stop is.

What I don't get either is they're posting these detours for the public, but the B/Os often don't know what the detours are supposed to be. Perhaps the B/O opened the door for me because the B/O was told in advance that I was going up to 8th by 42nd because the dispatcher had to radio in to find out which way they were detouring the BxM2.

Bus detours are a problem with the (MTA)

What I don't get is why don't they just allocate temporary stops? I have yet to be on a detoured bus and see people board at the so called "corresponding stops" since they don't really exist. The B/Os usually just fly down the street. I just got lucky that the bus was stuck in traffic, otherwise, he probably wouldn't have stopped.

I actually saw a QM5 yesterday coming down Madison and as you said there were no signs anywhere. When I complained the last time I had a major problem, I requested that they added more information, and believe it or not they have, BUT making the corresponding stops nonsense means nothing because people don't know where to stand since there is nothing posted anywhere. The other thing is sometimes they actually do post signs, but only where the normal bus stop is.

What I don't get either is they're posting these detours for the public, but the B/Os often don't know what the detours are supposed to be. Perhaps the B/O opened the door for me because the B/O was told in advance that I was going up to 8th by 42nd because the dispatcher had to radio in to find out which way they were detouring the BxM2.

The MTA does need to address this and say that in the event of a detour, stops will will be made at the same cross streets where permitted, on the far side.

As for this parade, I don't get why the parade can't be stopped every so often to allow buses through. You obviously can't do it with a marathon, but with a parade, it should be a no-brainer; it's done with parades in Manhattan.

Also, in a case like this, why not run a Saturday schedule on the B103, since it will be picking up the B41's slack? (B103 off-peak service downtown weekdays and Saturdays is every 15 minutes, and every 20 minutes on Sundays.)

As for this parade, I don't get why the parade can't be stopped every so often to allow buses through. You obviously can't do it with a marathon, but with a parade, it should be a no-brainer; it's done with parades in Manhattan.

I don't know why either. It's done with other parades outside of Manhattan.

Archived