Planned/Unplanned Detours or Serivce Changes

FamousNYLover

The sheer size of the parade is way too large to just stop mid-route and let buses pass

I think it can be done... I lived near a parade route for years by Forest Avenue and when they have the St. Patrick's Day Parade, they stop every so often to let traffic through. It can be done if organized properly.

I think it can be done... I lived near a parade route for years by Forest Avenue and when they have the St. Patrick's Day Parade, they stop every so often to let traffic through. It can be done if organized properly.

The West Indian day parade is probably the largest parade in the city and it gets bigger every year. There was no way of stopping it yesterday

Do you guys remember when 5th Av-Madison Av was frozen zone due to President was in MET (Not Obama, but forgot who was president before him)

It was on weekdays, I was on uptown M3 via Madison Av, NYPD couldn't let us through, so we went loop via 60th St, 5th Av, 57th St, 3rd Av, then return to regular route past MET Museum.

Pre last year's Marathon, who are charge of posting detour for NYC Marathon did not post any sign that all 5th Av buses are being detour, and because of that tourists were waiting for bus at regular 5th Av/84th St bus stop.

Some B/O stops on charter bus stop on 84th St or some stops on 84th St exit ramp before returning to 5th Av.

• 5 weeks later...
S40, S42/52, S44, S46, S48, S51, S53, S61, S62, S74 and S78 buses detoured due to the Staten Island Half Marathon

Day, 8 AM to 1 PM, Sunday, Oct 7

Buses are being detoured from Richmond Terr, Bay St, School Rd,

Lily Pond Av, Father Capodanno Blvd and Seaview Av.

S40, S42/52, S44, S46, S48, S51, S61, S62, S74 and S78: Routes

scheduled to enter/exit the St George Ferry Terminal will depart from

St Mark's Pl.

How are people supposed to go from the terminal to St Marks Pl if the route goes right in front of it? And are buses going to hold for the walk?

I'm not sure, but based on the route (see here), it looks like people will have to go out through the parking lots, and get out by Jersey Street, and then make their way to St. Marks Place from there. (I mean, obviously they can't cross in front of the runners, and I doubt they'd put up a temporary bridge or anything). But St. Marks Place is on a hill at that point.

Bank Street (the road that passes by the parking lots) is kind of narrow, so I don't know if buses would be able to turn up there and end at one of the parking lots or something.

• 2 months later...

I really would like to know who or which department posts the detours because more times than not they are completely inaccurate and what's worse is these are planned detours that they know about in advance. Tonight was a perfect example. The bus that I needed was supposed to resume its regular route after 57th street based on the information posted on the (MTA) website:

3PM Mon to 4AM Tue, Dec. 31 - Jan 1

Buses are being detoured from 8 Av, 7 Av, Broadway and 6th Av between 34th and 57 Sts.

Southbound: Buses will make stops along 5th Av at corresponding locations.

Northbound: Buses will make stops along Madison Av at corresponding locations.

-Please allow additional travel time.

Suffice it to say that the buses were not just being detoured from 34th to 57th street and I missed two buses as a result, calling myself waiting at one of the stops along what was supposed to be the regular part of the route. <_< Took me almost two hours to get home by the time I finally caught a bus.

I really have a hard time understanding why whoever posts this information is so incompetent that they don't realize that they repeatedly give conflicting information.... In any event, I would be curious to know who is responsible for posting this information on the (MTA) website??

The real kicker is there was not ONE passenger on any of those buses because in addition to the ridiculous detour information given, all of the buses were running almost 10 minutes early. I know because they eventually showed up on Bus Time once they resumed their normal route and I made sure to note the bus numbers and times and reported it as well because that is just ridiculous. I tried calling the depot to see what was going on and the damn line was busy of course. I got fortunate enough to catch the last bus of the night home otherwise I would've had an even longer commute than just two hours.

Did anyone also notice that they used to post the turn-by-turn directions for the bus routes, but a couple months ago they changed it and just say "buses make corresponding stops along ___ "? In some cases it's too vague and doesn't make sense.

I was thinking of taking an EXP bus last night for about 30 seconds before I thought "hey, it's New Years, the buses will be really messed up." The subway ride out of the city was one of the best I've had in a long time, not a single delay. One days like that, the subway is cheaper, faster, and smarter than EXP buses.

I was thinking of taking an EXP bus last night for about 30 seconds before I thought "hey, it's New Years, the buses will be really messed up." The subway ride out of the city was one of the best I've had in a long time, not a single delay. One days like that, the subway is cheaper, faster, and smarter than EXP buses.

LOL... That is such a cop out and you know it because they screw up with the subway just the same with inaccurate information. Resorting to another mode of transportation because the (MTA) can't provide accurate information on the website is not at all logical or possible for some folks. In my case the subway really wasn't an option because streets were shut down so that would've been yet another obstacle course in and of itself.

Did anyone also notice that they used to post the turn-by-turn directions for the bus routes, but a couple months ago they changed it and just say "buses make corresponding stops along ___ "? In some cases it's too vague and doesn't make sense.

Oh yeah this seems to be the norm now the whole buses making corresponding stop along such and such street. I wrote in and complained about it. If folks like us who use the system and know the system have problems, how do they expect the average rider to figure it out?

I bet most ppl instead of being screwed looking for the bus did exactly this rather than wait in the cold people are NOT that stupid you know VG8. You should have just did what this guy did. However I truly feel sorry for SI bound folks THEY WERE SCREWED HARDER THAN A screwdriver.

LOL... That is such a cop out and you know it because they screw up with the subway just the same with inaccurate information. Resorting to another mode of transportation because the (MTA) can't provide accurate information on the website is not at all logical or possible for some folks. In my case the subway really wasn't an option because streets were shut down so that would've been yet another obstacle course in and of itself No it's not a cop out it's called being smart and not sitting in the cold like an idiot clinging to one option. Seriously being attached to one mode is silly and stupid. It's like waiting for a train that has derailed to come when a bus to the same destination is there. Mode bias idiots always get BURNED by crap like this. With me I improvise always.

Oh yeah this seems to be the norm now the whole buses making corresponding stop along such and such street. I wrote in and complained about it. If folks like us who use the system and know the system have problems, how do they expect the average rider to figure it out?hmm I wonder it means on the street but at the corner it's not that hard to figure out if you know how to actually read.

replies in red

replies in red

Nobody was clinging to anything... Like I said the streets were SHUT DOWN to reach the subway so my options were to stay on the East Side and pick the option that I thought was easiest for me, which is what I did. Clearly you have a hard time reading.

The detour wasn't so much of an issue as it was me missing buses because of them showing up so early. That was the real issue, but I mention the whole detour thing because of how long it was in effect and how many people must've been screwed over by it.

Cops cannot help you either. They don't know where buses are making detours either.

It's just like during Puerto Rican Day Parade or last year's NYC Marathon 2011.

I remember during 2011 NYC Marathon, NY Grayline Sightseeing Tour bus was suppose to make left turn from 5th Av to 86th St, but one driver went in the frozen zone, so NYPD Traffic agent had to open the gate to let the tour bus go to 84th St since because transverse rd is height restriction.

LOL... That is such a cop out and you know it because they screw up with the subway just the same with inaccurate information. Resorting to another mode of transportation because the (MTA) can't provide accurate information on the website is not at all logical or possible for some folks. In my case the subway really wasn't an option because streets were shut down so that would've been yet another obstacle course in and of itself.

I've found more innacuracies with the buses than subways over the years.

I've found more innacuracies with the buses than subways over the years.

Well that would make sense. You see I don't have a problem with detours being inaccurate because of unexpected things. The issue is with planned detours... Those should not be botched up be it on the subway or the bus and often times they are which to me is very troubling. Hell even the dispatchers don't know sometimes... I think what it comes down to is they have people posting information on the website that don't have a clue what they are doing and that applies for the subway and the buses.

Archived