Buying a Slant

didf

Since the Slants have been retired, why can't a private individual buy one from the MTA? Also, is there still a connection at LIRR Fresh Pond Yard to the BMT? I understand that R160B cars from Bombadier were seen crossing the Connecting RR within the past year? Did any other connections ever exist between the TA and the LIRR or the NYC or the NH? How did an R32 back in , I believe 1964 get onto Metro North Tracks and into Grand Central Terminal?

The last car brought in on freight cars were the R142. The MTA won't sell any of the SMME cars because they still have asbestos and they do not want to risk any legal trouble over it.

Yup, and it costs a lot of money to abate it. But exactly how much you think a Slant would even go for? My best guess is $80,000 the least. Have that money??? Don't even bother getting a loan!

Yup, and it costs a lot of money to abate it. But exactly how much you think a Slant would even go for? My best guess is $80,000 the least. Have that money??? Don't even bother getting a loan!

Actually, buying an old subway car is not that expensive. What makes it a big purchase is having it shipped which can cost from $8,000 to almost $20,000. The MTA will basically give away the car though, but the lawyers have told them not to sell.

Actually, buying an old subway car is not that expensive. What makes it a big purchase is having it shipped which can cost from $8,000 to almost $20,000. The MTA will basically give away the car though, but the lawyers have told them not to sell.

Honestly, I beg to differ. And becuase of the asbestos in the trains, the MTA is really hesitant as to abate them and sell them off. Is it possible in the future? Maybe so, becuase trains built after the mid-1970s don't have asbestos in them.

And if you really think that the car will last in your backyard, then you're wasting money becuase carbon steel will rust away. My best idea for anyone who wants to hold on to any memorabilia of an R40 would be to buy the parts of the train, like the poles, signs and seats and convert your room to look like a subway car (and you could even go as far as turning your bedroom door into a storm door that slides open and making the entrance of your room to look like an R40 Slant!). xD :P

how would it look if R40 slant be put in park recreation

center like central park. that would be nice.

when will there be a acution that (NYCT)

would sell R40M / R32. ( the car that does not have hazrad material?)

selling R40M/R32 to anyone would make some profit that (MTA)

would make get alot of money :P :confused: ;):):tup:

(6) Bowling Green

(6) Pelham Local

(6) Lexington Avenue Express

(6) Next Stop is

(6) Parkchester

how would it look if R40 slant be put in park recreation

center like central park. that would be nice.

when will there be a acution that (NYCT)

would sell R40M / R32. ( the car that does not have hazrad material?)

selling R40M/R32 to anyone would make some profit that (MTA)

would make get alot of money :P :confused: ;):):tup:

(6) Bowling Green

(6) Pelham Local

(6) Lexington Avenue Express

(6) Next Stop is

(6) Parkchester

Cars with asbestos will not be sold.

Honestly, I beg to differ. And becuase of the asbestos in the trains, the MTA is really hesitant as to abate them and sell them off. Is it possible in the future? Maybe so, becuase trains built after the mid-1970s don't have asbestos in them.

And if you really think that the car will last in your backyard, then you're wasting money becuase carbon steel will rust away. My best idea for anyone who wants to hold on to any memorabilia of an R40 would be to buy the parts of the train, like the poles, signs and seats and convert your room to look like a subway car (and you could even go as far as turning your bedroom door into a storm door that slides open and making the entrance of your room to look like an R40 Slant!). xD :P

Everything Matted posted was correct, including the cost of transport. The actual buying of the car isn't what's expensive, that's actually relatively cheap...it's transportation to where you want it, and it's having the space...which presumably means at the minimum laying proper track on level ground and putting a roof over it.

As far as trains without asbestos, we will see when the time comes what they do. But for the SMEEs now it's a no go, the lawyers have spoken....

also to kawasaki3 i dont fully understand what you are saying but it is important to stress that ALL R32-R42 contain asbestos (it's not harmful at all to ride in the cars, which is why they can see passenger service), however that means the MTA will not want the liability of selling it to you and then someday your kid opens the door pocket, plays "lick the black stuff" and winds up in the hospital or worse. As far as the park idea, that definitely won't happen for the same reason. They're all going to swim except for the ones getting preserved by MTA itself, whether for work service or the transit museum.

Slighty off topic but did anybody hear about that rumor that an country in africa bought some R32's for push pull service? If random countries can buy old SMEE's then why can't a railfan (Assuming the railfan has the money to pay for it) buy some SMEEs?...

Buying a subway car may not be as simple as it is. If the train car has harmful substances like asbestos then it can't be sold. Moving the subway car, maintaining its condition, is very costly. Even with all the money you can use to buy the subway car it takes a lot of work just to keep the subway car in good condition, windows, the flooring, the doors, and the lighting need to be maintained, and that can be costly too. Would you be willing to risk having these maintaining costs to own a subway car?

To all who say you cannot buy a retiring train from the (MTA), your flat out wrong. Many museums have bought retiring trains from the (MTA). Such as that transit museum in Connecticut, they have a R17, Lo-V's and more. The Illinois railway museum also has some R28/R29's

That's because as far as I know, they don't have asbestos.

R17 6688 does have asbestos and so do several other cars. The reason it is not a danger is because as long as it is not airborne, it is not harm full. When I was changing the bulkhead signs on 6688 you can see the asbestos on the ceiling. Back in the day when people still had common sense and lawyers did not run the world, subway cars were sold to anyone who had the money, but sadly those days are long gone.

R17 6688 does have asbestos and so do several other cars. The reason it is not a danger is because as long as it is not airborne, it is not harm full. When I was changing the bulkhead signs on 6688 you can see the asbestos on the ceiling. Back in the day when people still had common sense and lawyers did not run the world, subway cars were sold to anyone who had the money, but sadly those days are long gone.

Plus, there are a lot of disadvantages owning a 1960s subway car. Yeah, it'd be crazy if a young child tears the car apart and eats the asbestos (your child is basically SCREWED if that happens). The asbestos in the cars is not airborne and that's why they're operable. But if asbestos became a problem the cars would be immediately pulled out of service.

And also, if asbestos weren't the problem, vandals would have a field day vandalizing the heck out of it in backyards. And if one were to move, I mean really, would you really want to lug around an 80,000-pound asbestos-spiked subway car with you??? It'd be hard.

Museums got the cars for the purpose of recreational and historical use, and those who work at museums know how to take care of their belongings, well, almost anyways. God knows what an individual would do.

Yeah, it would become the responsibility of the owner and not the MTA, but I don't think the lawyers would let that get by so easily. Buy the parts and make your room into a subway car, that's my opinion and from the looks of it, the best option too. :-)

To all who say you cannot buy a retiring train from the (MTA), your flat out wrong. Many museums have bought retiring trains from the (MTA). Such as that transit museum in Connecticut, they have a R17, Lo-V's and more. The Illinois railway museum also has some R28/R29's

No that is wrong information. Museums have asked about some of this equipment and been told that it is NOT for sale. The R-17 was acquired in the 1980's and the Lo-V before that, and the IRM cars were even acquired a few years ago. Things were different then. Again I will restate, in regards to the CURRENT CROP OF RETIRING CARS R32-R42 (MTA) is NOT selling them due to the asbestos issue.

And a museum could just as likely sue as a person. Think what would happen if a museum visitor ate some asbestos, got sick and sued the museum. You don't think at least SOME museums out there would then turn around and sue (MTA)? The threat of this is why it's not done...

As for the Africa idea, last I'd heard it's not been decided yet..it's just in the "slightly more than a brain fart" phase which means nothing has been decided yet.

And a museum could just as likely sue as a person. Think what would happen if a museum visitor ate some asbestos, got sick and sued the museum. You don't think at least SOME museums out there would then turn around and sue (MTA)? The threat of this is why it's not done...\

I'm sorry. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? "Oh! Black stuff inside the train walls, I'm going to eat it!" Who in their right minds would do that? In addition, they could have a contract stating that the buyer is aware that the product has asbestos and that the buyer is aware of the danger and assumes all responsiblity. Can't sue the (MTA) then, can you?

Also, here is a video taken recently which show R28's being moved to the Illinois Railway museum.

Kids do stupid things (that's why they're kids). Some of us may remember the frenzy over lead paint, because kids were eating the chips and getting lead poisoning.

You could have a client sign all the waivers in the world and still some scum lawyer will find a way to sue and win money. The MTA isn't taking the chance.

Archived