Buying a Slant

didf

Kids do stupid things (that's why they're kids). Some of us may remember the frenzy over lead paint, because kids were eating the chips and getting lead poisoning.

You could have a client sign all the waivers in the world and still some scum lawyer will find a way to sue and win money. The MTA isn't taking the chance.

Thank you. That is EXACTLY the reason.

I'm sorry. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? "Oh! Black stuff inside the train walls, I'm going to eat it!" Who in their right minds would do that? In addition, they could have a contract stating that the buyer is aware that the product has asbestos and that the buyer is aware of the danger and assumes all responsiblity. Can't sue the (MTA) then, can you?

Also, here is a video taken recently which show R28's being moved to the Illinois Railway museum.

See Joe's post below yours. Sums it up.

And whether or not they're that dumb is debatable. Even if they're not, all it takes is a kid touching the stuff, not washing his hands, and then a) eating something without washing his hands :( biting his fingers or finger nails c) picking his nose d) putting his dirty hands on someone else's face (his parents or siblings)

MTA doesn't want the liability. You don't like the reason? Fine, write a letter to MTA but saying it's ridiculous to me isn't going to do anything...

To all who say you cannot buy a retiring train from the (MTA), your flat out wrong. Many museums have bought retiring trains from the (MTA). Such as that transit museum in Connecticut, they have a R17, Lo-V's and more. The Illinois railway museum also has some R28/R29's

Subwayguy and I know what we are talking about when we say that no one is getting an R32-R42. We both volunteer alot of time at the Shore Line Trolley Museum. Of that time I would say that 90% or more of that time is spent working with the rapid transit cars (Low-V, R9, and R17) and the other museum members who run and maintain the cars. We have both asked about the possibility of getting a SMEE car and guess what? The museum has asked the (MTA) and they have said no. I have been reading this thread and all I see a people who do not know what they are taking about giving out the wrong info while Subwayguy and I have been giving the right answer which. So, can you buy an R40 or what ever? The answer is a flat out NO, the are no if ands or buts about it. So you sir are wrong.

Not to mention anyone who buys an R40 would have to buy TWO of them, and many museums, including us, don't have the barn space for that right now...and there's enough stuff stored outdoors as it is at the moment.

That's why there are those of us at BERA who would prefer to wait and save an R62A single someday rather than fighting to try and save two of a car class that any pair chosen likely would come with mechanical or body rot problems that would need to be sorted out...plus never mind that no one would even get that far due to the legal reasons above, as (MTA) has already said it's not going to happen and stated the reason.

I can vouch for what Matt and Drew have said, they spend lots of time up in BERA working on restoring these cars and I'm certain they know what they are talking about especially due to who they work with (Jeff). I honestly don't see the purpose of keeping this thread open.

Archived