What cars will the (T) have?

ctrain

yeah, the (T) isn't expected to go into service until 2018, and that's an optimistic estimate based on today's economy. and by then, we should have the R179's on property, so it could be a mix of R160/R179. you never know.

why don't we lock this topic and revisit it 9 years later lol...

This entire topic is a little ridiculous. The (T) cannot run until Phase III of the SAS is done. To put things into perspective, Phase I should be done by 2013-2014. The completion date for Phase I has been moved to a later date very often, so I wouldn't even be surprised if the (T) would not come until 2030 or later. Also, we don't know what yard it is going to use. Moreover, if the (T) comes around 2030, the R68/A's would already be replaced with a much newer fleet, and the R160's would be about 25 years old (and whatever replaced the R44 and R46 would be a little younger than 25). I'm pretty sure they would want to use the newest rolling stock on the (T), but thats just my guess.

This is all I am saying before I stop:

The (T) will be based out of Coney Island.

The (T) will come at the end of Phase III.

Phase I is currently scheduled to finish in 2016.

After that Phase II will start, which will likely finish in 2020.

Phase III? 2024.

2024 = around the time the R68s will retire, so whatever is replacing the R68/As will likely be what will be used on the (T).

Now let's stop speculating until we have Phase I down.

This is all I am saying before I stop:

The (T) will come at the end of Phase III.

Phase I is currently scheduled to finish in 2016.

After that Phase II will start, which will likely finish in 2020.

Phase III? 2024.

2024 = around the time the R68s will retire, so whatever is replacing the R68/As will likely be what will be used on the (T).

Now let's stop speculating until we have Phase I down.

we dunno what it will be based out of, nor the Car it will be assigned too. Who knows if it will ever exist, we got to finish up 125th Street so the (T) Could maybe get in...

For now this topic is very useless..

I think the (T) will be based out of Jamaica yard because they are planning to build a non-revenue track to connect to the IND 63rd Street line so the (T) can have direct and closer access to the Yard at Jamaica.

The connection is there already. We may still not know what yard it is based out of. It could be a shared route between Jamaica Yard and Coney Island, since the (Q) and the (T) WILL share tracks and the (Q) comes out of Coney Island Yard Facilities.

The connection is there already. We may still not know what yard it is based out of. It could be a shared route between Jamaica Yard and Coney Island, since the (Q) and the (T) WILL share tracks and the (Q) comes out of Coney Island Yard Facilities.
No, he meant a connection south of 63rd St to the 63rd St Tunnel. Since phase 3 of the 2nd Avenue line doesn't exist yet, the connection wouldn't exist either.

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't make sense for it to be based out of CI. Look how far away it is and what an OOS (T) would have to do to get to Coney Island as apposed to Jamaica once Phase III is complete.

C'mon guys, use your brain.

It's pretty obvious what the logical answer to the OP's question is, however since people love speculation and things that don't make sense... there's no point in going over this.

It wouldn't make sense for it to be based out of CI. Look how far away it is and what an OOS (T) would have to do to get to Coney Island as apposed to Jamaica once Phase III is complete.

C'mon guys, use your brain.

It's pretty obvious what the logical answer to the OP's question is, however since people love speculation and things that don't make sense... there's no point in going over this.

Remember that the (T) and (Q) would share the same northern terminal. Would that factor into your decision at all? The (W) doesn't come close to Coney Island either, but it's based out of CI because it shares its northern terminal with the (N). Couldn't they do something similar with the (Q) and (T)?

All I'm going to say is that there will be a connection at 63rd street for 2nd ave subway to enter the Queens blvd line. hence we could say that it would be using JYD. But maybe not.

But we don't know anything for sure, so why make assumptions as if we know for sure what we are talking about? A lot of the posters here are so sure of themselves as if they know what's going to happen 20-30 years from now when we see the (T). We will not know the conditions of the subway in 30 years. Therefore we cannot assume where the (T) will be based out of.

But what I will say is that around the time the (T) should be in service, the R68/A's will be retiring and a new car will be coming to replace them. The R160's will be 20-30 years old, and if the R179's come in the next few years, they'd be in their high teens/low-20's. I'd assume they would want to use the newest rolling stock for the (T), so the R68/A's replacements would most likely run on the (T). That's just how I see it.

Remember that the (T) and (Q) would share the same northern terminal. Would that factor into your decision at all? The (W) doesn't come close to Coney Island either, but it's based out of CI because it shares its northern terminal with the (N). Couldn't they do something similar with the (Q) and (T)?

This is the center of where my logic is coming from. In addition to that, if the (T) trains get the next generation of New Technology Trains, so will the (Q). After all, some train swapping may occur in the event that a train needs to be taken out of service on one line, and into service on another. However, we will have to wait and see when the (T) and (Q) portion of the line finishes.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

When the first segment of the (T) opens, it will probably be only to 34th or 42nd (whatever that next stop below the connection is. And then after that, 14th. So it will still be more of a branch of the (Q), and have a very small fleet. So it will probably at that time just share with the (Q). When it becomes the full length line, then it would probably have a separate fleet based from Jamaica.

It could be either, as there were plans to expand either Jamaica OR CIYD for Second Av. Though it seems the space that was considered in CI is having something else done with it; not sure what.

The best thing would have been the idea to gain a section of Sunnyside yard, which would be close to the line, as well as storing cars from other nearby midtown lines.

IF the (T) ever actually happens it won't be for at least 10 more years so it is impossible to even speculate anything about the line!

10 years? hahah thats funny!

For the (T) to come Phase III has to be done. Phase I is supposed to be done in 2015, if things go to schedule, which probably won't happen. And they might not even start Phase II right after Phase I, so forget about the (T) for a while.

I'd say we would see the (T) by 2050 the earliest.

Archived