MTA Board Meeting January 26th

Transitworkertruth

At the urging of the Local by way of flier handouts I decided to attend the January 26th MTA Board meeting. Arriving promptly at 09.00 I expected to see the upper echelon of Local 100 in full battle gear. I was sadly disappointed to see only TWU Recording Secretary Benita Johnson and Vernon Thorpe representing the Local.

Ms. Johnson was the first of the public speakers who wished to be heard. She read a prepared statement handed to her by Vernon Thorpe, Local 100's overpaid underproducing PAC Chairman bashing the MTA once again for their poor response to the December 2010 blizzard. Keeping true to form, this statement offered nothing new, just another beating of a deceased equine.

Two civilians came to the podium next. One discussed the 2010 death of the NYCTA track supervisor in the Rockaways and that 3rd rail power emergency alarm boxes do not work as they should. In keeping with the MTA policy of allowing anyone who wishes to speak do so, even when they have nothing to contribute whatsoever, the next speaker walked to the microphone and simply commented on the nice ties Jay Walder and another board member were wearing.

Train Operator Chris Tobin was the fourth speaker. He began by congratulating Chairman Walder on his reappointment and briefly told him how the current culture between the TWU and the MTA is one of not working together and how this must change. Tobin extended an olive branch of sorts to Walder, letting him know that for the good of the people of New York as well as for the members of TWU Local 100, the future is about change and working together so that everyone benefits. As Tobin stepped down from the podium and walked into the hallway he was immediately stopped by Pete Donahue of the New York Daily News who said he would like to speak with him at length about his ideas for change. Tobin and Donahue exchanged business cards and agreed to talk in the near future.

John Samuelsen could not attend the meeting due to the snowy conditions.

Archived