(AUS) Safety warning over train doors

Pakenhamtrain

From abc.net.au

Safety warning over train doors

One of Victoria's top safety regulators has warned that passenger doors on many Melbourne trains are dangerous.

Transport Safety Victoria says 187 Comeng trains do not comply with modern design standards, because their doors can be opened while the train is moving.

It has issued a safety notice to the Department of Transport, requiring that the doors be fixed.

Alan Osborne from Transport Safety Victoria says the sub-standard trains make up around half the fleet and he wants all trains to be as safe as possible.

"I'm not getting good noises from the Department of Transport that this is going to be funded in the next major overhaul," he said.

"I'm not saying there's a massive risk that has to be dealt with right now, but what I do want to see is some committed plans put in place for the future so that we know that these things are going to get upgraded at the next major overhaul of the Comeng fleet."

Mr Osborne says the repairs would cost around $10 million and should be done in the next few months.

Transport Minister Terry Mulder says he has known about the issue for a couple of weeks and wants the doors fixed as soon as possible.

"It's a concern. We face that situation and we're going to deal with it," he said.

I'll have further discussions with metro. As I say, these trains are due for a mid-life overhaul and throughout the course of that, we may well be able to do that work."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-22/safety-warning-over-train-doors/2911520?section=vic

The last I heard is that they were fitting locks above to prevent them from opening. Although you do need a bit of strength to get them open. Unless the power goes out......

Archived