Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Pakenhamtrain

(AUS)Granville train disaster remembered

From the SMH:

Granville train disaster remembered

January 18, 2013

The 83 victims of Australia's worst train disaster have been remembered in a moving ceremony that also honoured the victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre in the US.

The packed 6.09am train from Mount Victoria to Sydney derailed and crashed as it approached Granville station about 8.10am on January 18, 1977.

The train smashed into a bridge, which collapsed on two carriages. In addition to the death toll, 210 people were injured.

About 250 survivors, relatives, emergency service workers and dignitaries gathered near the crash site on Friday to mark the 36th anniversary.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/granville-train-disaster-remembered-20130118-2cz0l.html#ixzz2IUKgG5wr

The cause of the crash was due to poor track condition and the poor condition of the wheels on the locomotive. When the train came over the section of track the track spread and the locomotive came off.

The history channel over here did a documentary about the disaster which aired on Friday night.

• Upvote 1

I was 22 years old when that happened, and I will always remember that terrible day. When I read things like this it brings it all back.