Line and Junction Designs; Raising Transit Efficiency

CenSin

I've been spending a bit of time lately on designing my home network (IT-related, and not model railroad-related) and I realized that some of the same problems with bandwidth and redundancy could be carried over to things like transportation networks. I've got some designs I want to test in a simulator (if such a piece of software even exists) or possibly a physical model railroad complete with automatic operation.

There are a lot of crude drafts that I need to clean up before I post them, but I have one item so far that I just finished:

2_Three_track_to_1_Four_track_Junction.p

It's just one of the many building blocks.

For the cross-platform transfer I'd do a dual-level thing, like 125th on the Lex.

Actually, it is two levels—two levels with three tracks each for a total of six to be precise. The station in the center is bilevel. Look a little closer at the dotted lines.

Perhaps I should have labelled the two halves of the image clearly: upper level and lower level.

Nice stuff! Perhaps the MTA can hire you for SAS?

A lot of the stuff for SAS is pretty much cut and dried. This might be useful for some other developing city with cheap labor and less onerous restraints on where things can be built. One thing is for sure: these junctions require a lot of space to work effectively.

• 4 weeks later...

This one is for a triple-tracked three-branch merge to a six-tracked line with the same principles as the previous one and some improvements. I'll be carrying some of the improvements back over to the previous design as well while working on some other combinations as well as terminal station/junction designs.

3_Three_track_to_1_Six_track_Line.png

With each pair of track able to carry a maximum of two services each, this design is flexible enough to enable maximum capacity no matter what the routing is. Every single combination of branch-mainline routing is possible whereas typical systems hardlink certain branch tracks to certain mainline tracks.

Archived