One last accessibility question, I hope

auronrenouille

The tunnel between Times Square (1)(2)(3)(7)(S)(N)(Q)(R)(W) and Port Authority's (A)(C)(E) - is that wheelchair accessible? mta.info indicates not but my gut feeling thinks that there may be an accessible way of doing it that doesn't involve going walking down 42nd Street. Are there any stairs that prevent access to wheelchair users?

Thanks so much guys ;). I'll be flying back East on Monday, so this should be the last of these annoying questions :(.

The passageway between the two station complexes are indeed wheelchair accessible. The IND platforms don't have elevators between the mezzanine and the platforms, but rather a winding ramp that heads downwards (or up, even). But it's still accessible.

I remember that ramp on my last trip to NYC, on my return to Penn Station... I didn't know that there would be a railing at the bottom and I was convinced I was going to lose control of the wheelchair, going flying off the platform and die ;p. At least it would be a spectacular death, it probably would've made NY1. ;p "Tonight at 11, wheelchair user from Boston plasters himself to the wall of the 8th Ave IND!"

That's good to know about the tunnel, I'll keep that in mind - my closest subway options this trip will be the (C), (Q), and (;), so it'll be good to know where I can connect from those lines, particular to the IRT lines.

Archived