R62a question

Should a passenger mess around and push the doors open en route, does the motorman's indication light illuminate, and if so, is the operator required to stop at once, proceed to the next station, or buzz the conductor to while moving?

Pulling the doors open doesn't cause the motorman to lose indication. It stops after a little crack, only enough for your foot to fit through.

The only time when the motorman does lose indication is when you have the key and turn the door to "Off" position, allowing you to manually open/close the door by hand completely.

Should a passenger mess around and push the doors open en route, does the motorman's indication light illuminate, and if so, is the operator required to stop at once, proceed to the next station, or buzz the conductor to while moving?

Indication works the opposite. It's fail safe, so indication is "lit" when the doors are closed and locked. Were a passenger to pull the doors open, they would not open far enough on any of the current equipment to cause a loss of indication, however they would open slightly and you could drop a pen to the roadbed.

If indication were to be lost en route (indication light goes out), the train operator is instructed to stop the train IMMEDIATELY and SMOOTHLY. The train does not come to an emergency stop with loss of indication because the reason for loss of indication is unclear, and if a door were widely open, an emergency stop could cause someone to fall out the door. So like I said the rules instead call for a smooth but quick service application of the brakes to stop the train.

Indication works the opposite. It's fail safe, so indication is "lit" when the doors are closed and locked.

I actually knew that, and I completely forgot the whole concept.

Still, thanks for the lesson on protocol, SuGu.

Do the doors on any of the current rolling stock have sensors located in the rubber seals (whatever the hell those tubes on the ends where each leaf meets) that allow for automatic re-opening, similar to a garage door (yeah, yeah - I know that's a totally different concept using mirrors and a light beam)?

Do the doors on any of the current rolling stock have sensors located in the rubber seals (whatever the hell those tubes on the ends where each leaf meets) that allow for automatic re-opening, similar to a garage door (yeah, yeah - I know that's a totally different concept using mirrors and a light beam)?

Nope because the doors would never close. The IRT years ago used something like that on the Lo-V's in the 1930's, but passengers quickly figured out that if they blocked the door even slightly it would spring back open and let them on, causing delays.

Closest thing to that is "local recycle" on all of the new tech equipment. However, the conductor must activate that feature. Anytime a door leaf is not closed and locked, activating local recycle re opens only those door leafs that aren't closed, and attempts to close them again. It works 3 times before the whole side (front or back) needs to be opened again. It saves time because it opens only the leafs that are being held open rather than the whole side (which could allow more people to hold the doors)

Archived