(Aus)Train derails after crossing smash

Pakenhamtrain

From the ABC:

Train derails after crossing smash

Paramedics say passengers on a V-Line train south-east of Melbourne were lucky to escape without injury after the train struck a car and derailed.

The Traralgon train hit the car at Tynong, about 55 kilometres east of Melbourne, at about 10:00pm.

A man in the car was killed.

Rescue workers used ladders to help passengers off the train. They continued on their journey by bus.

Passenger David Abiel thought the train would flip over after breaking heavily.

Another passenger, Richard Beacher, says the train was travelling at a reasonable pace when they heard a bang.

"There was just a large bang and a large scraping and shuttering noise and it travelled for about 300 or 400 metres before it stopped," he said.

"It was pretty scary. At one point I thought we were going to slide off the track."

Ambulance officer, Bryan Chesson, says it is hard to believe no passengers were seriously injured.

"It was a high-speed impact," he said.

"Given the nature of the impact, the train has also partially derailed. It was certainly a very luck escape."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/06/3030544.htm

Having seen what was left of a car after a train smashed into it at 115KM/H I would very much think slightly worse. I think the line speed along there is 115-130KM/H

Archived