Tracks of the NYC Subway cover photo contest 2011

Peter Dougherty

Hi folks, Just a friendly reminder that the photo contest for the cover of the 2011 edition of Tracks of the NYC Subway is in full swing! If you didn't see the first announcement of this a couple of weeks ago, in addition to looking for updated information on tracks and signals for the 2011 edition of Tracks I'm holding a friendly photo contest once again for the cover image.

I'm looking for the best pictures to reflect the focus of the book--tracks and signals--to be the cover art for the upcoming edition.

Essentially, a winning image will be a front-looking view of complex track work, preferably encompassing at least a couple of signals, a train or two and a striking background image. Images must be from the modern era (preferably within the last couple of years) and trains must be of the stock presently in use or expected to be in revenue service in the year in which the book is published. If you look at the 2010 cover (shown below) you'll get a sense of what I'm looking for. This was a great picture taken by Anthony Maimone, a young railfan in the Bronx.

What will NOT win or be considered is a simple view of train run-bys or 3/4 views of rolling stock in stations, etc. This isn't a picture book of trains, after all!

This also means that those who have LEGAL access to cab views, tracks and other parts of the system may have a better chance at a winning photograph. No, it's not fair to all, but that's life! I don't condone trespassing by the railfan community and I certainly won't encourage or support it!

Winners will receive two free signed copies of the edition of the book with their winning picture, 11x14" blowups of both the winning image itself and the image with the cover overlays as well as recognition inside the book.

You must own the legal rights to any photograph you submit! If you're the photographer, that's ideal. By submitting an entry you agree to all the terms and conditions set forth in this announcement and you also agree to a release of the image for use on the cover and in any promotional materials throughout the print run of the 2011 edition.

To enter, simply send either the image itself in .jpg format or a link to a site like Picassa or Photobucket or Flickr. Ideally, if you have a bunch of images that you'd like considered, upload an album to one of the hosting sites and just send me the link via e-mail. Anything sent as an initial entry can be at any resolution or size, but the full-size image must meet the specifications shown below in order to be printed. All submissions will be treated as confidential and non-winning submissions will be deleted immediately after the deadline. Feel free to watermark or indicate your copyright anywhere on the submissions, but I will need a clean image if yours is the winner.

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE MADE VIA E-MAIL, to nyctrackbook@gmail.com and include use the subject 2011 PHOTO CONTEST. I probably won't follow this thread too closely here on the message board just due to the extremely high-traffic we have around here.

DEADLINE IS midnight NYC time OCT. 31st 2010.

Submissions received on Nov. 1st or later will be automatically considered for the following year's contest (i.e. for the 2012 cover).

Judging will be by me and me alone, and my decision is final.

You may submit as many pictures as you want, in any format that you want. The more the merrier--just remember, <b>no run-bys, 3/4-length views or images of just trains.</b> Pictures must tell the casual viewer that this book is about tracks and signals of the NYC Subway!

SPECIFICATIONS FOR PRINT

The final print must be in electronic format (JPG, PSD, TIFF, RAW formats), must be at least 300 dpi in resolution and sized roughly 9 x 12" or larger. RAW or Photoshop native PSD-format images are preferred. Images may need to be slightly cropped or retouched, but no changes will be made without the winning photographer's consent.

Remember, this is a friendly competition amongst railfans with a very small prize and it's more for bragging rights than anything else. This isn't a multinational corporation or a big magazine,etc. Please play fair and be nice!

Good Luck to one and all!

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

Tracks of the NYC Subway

Archived