Should the US adopt the Metric System?

Shortline Bus

The Metric system is much easier to learn in school because it's just factors of 10 and lends itself much easier when you're doing math/science problems. I think the U.S. should convert over to the metric system for the most part, but as other people have said it should be a very gradual process so that when they decide to switch over something pretty big into the metric system, people would go "oh that's not so bad, I already know a meter is a little over 3 feet anyway". It's also much easier to memorize measurements. A mile/kilometer is simply 1,600 meters. That's much easier to remember than 1,760 yards or 5,280 feet.

The customary system would be more practical in situations like some national sports (I don't necessarily see football switching over to meters, but U.S. track switched over to the metric system a while back and it's more fit for the sport) and things of relatively short distance ("oh that thing is only half a foot long"). There's nothing stating that we can't use both systems depending on the situation. But if literally everyone else in the world uses the metric system then there's nothing stopping us from doing so either.

Totally agreed!

Archived