Queens residents say Long Island Rail Road brass doesn't give a toot

Trainspotter

Queens residents say Long Island Rail Road brass doesn't give a toot

Long Island Rail Road officials announced a plan last week to hush the blaring horns of commuter trains traveling through Queens and Long Island.

"I have heard the complaints of our neighbors along the LIRR's right-of-way loud and clear," said LIRR President Helena Williams.

"Now, we are doing something about it."

But local activists said the plan falls short.

Prior to the rule change, which went into effect earlier this month, engineers were told to honk every time they passed through a station, even if it was not a stop on the route. Now, they do not.

"We've told the engineers they should no longer be sounding the horns unless they see a safety hazard," said Salvatore Arena, a spokesman for LIRR.

The railroad will also spend $2.5 million over the course of two years to outfit 837 new M-7 electric train cars with a muffling directional horn.

In addition, LIRR has requested a waiver to a federal regulation mandating high horn volume.

The agency has also applied for a waiver for horn blasts mandated at 24 station crossings in high-density areas.

However, critics expressed their discontent at a hearing last week in Jamaica, and accused the LIRR of empty promises.

"Nothing different. It's more nonsense," said Jack Mevorach, founder of the Train Noise Abatement Association.

Mevorach said the four new steps won't be enough to make a noticeable difference.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 21, 2008

I see both sides on this issue, but if i lived near a commuter rail track i'd want horns and lights and whatever else it took to keep people safe. I live in a part of the country with heavy freight and commuter traffic and the LAST THING i'd want is silent trains, especially on the grade crossings..... If someone falls onto the track, and are deaf, how are they supposed to know a train is coming aside from the dinky little lights on the front if the train is going 80 mph.

- Andy

what a bunch of crybabies..

i live right next to LIRR tracks, they used to do construction every weekend and every 15 mins a train would go by HONK HONK HONK even @ 2 am in the morning.

you don't see me crying about it, don't you?

Archived