Only $4? California teens look to set Guinness World Record by spending 24 hours at Denny's

Shortline Bus

Only $4? California teens look to set Guinness World Record by spending 24hours at Denny's

BY Nina Mandell

DNY AILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, June 3rd 2011

"A group of California teenagers walked into a Denny's at 9:01 on Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend with one goal in mind: to set a Guinness World Record for the most consecutive hours spent eating pancakes.

When they walked out exactly 24 hours later, they wanted anything but the breakfast food.

"I think I'm sick of pancakes," the group's ringleader, Brenden Griffin, admitted more than four days after the feat.

Griffin, 17, came up with the idea when he saw a commercial for the restaurant's pancake special. He called the restaurant a week in advance to arrange a cordoned-off area for the group so they could eat in peace, and then somehow got six of his friends to join him.

"I don't know how I convinced anyone to do this with me," Griffin told the Daily News. "I always have crazy ideas."

For the first few hours, everyone in the group happily dug into pancakes. But things quickly got ugly.

When none of them could stomach the thought of eating another pancake, they got creative, designating one person to be the given "eater" at a time so they could share the load. To stay entertained, they put Tabasco sauce in each other's mouths, started a dance party and even played on the X-Box they set up at the restaurant.

"At the end the managers were so cool with us, we just walked in the kitchen and started pouring our own coffee," Griffin said.

The story was first reported in the Orange County Register by one of the boy's fathers, Greg Hardesty, who returned from a 24-hour endurance run to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project just in time to catch the last part of the pancake marathon.

"They're really good kids," Hardesty told the News. "I was thinking about this … they're 17-year-old boys and they're doing something I consider wholesome."

When he took home his exhausted son, Hardesty stopped by a Starbucks, where somehow the pancake champ still managed to eat a sandwich.

"He was hungry for anything but a pancake," he said.

The crew will head to Denny's again next week when the Guinness board comes into town to verify their record.

And after that, Griffin – who still has nightmares about pancakes –has big plans for his stomach.

The high school junior thinks he's going to spend his summer getting into competitive eating, and wants to challenge "Man vs. Food" host Adam Richman to a duel at his local Denny's.

"I called him out on the radio today," he said. "He'll find out how to contact me."

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2011/06/03/2011-06-03_only_4_california_teens_look_to_set_guinness_world_record_by_spending_24_hours_a.html

Hey better than doing illegal drugs or causing 'trouble.' Although the servers may hate them after this LMAO.:eek:

Only $4? California teens look to set Guinness World Record by spending 24hours at Denny's

BY Nina Mandell

DNY AILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, June 3rd 2011

"A group of California teenagers walked into a Denny's at 9:01 on Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend with one goal in mind: to set a Guinness World Record for the most consecutive hours spent eating pancakes.

When they walked out exactly 24 hours later, they wanted anything but the breakfast food.

"I think I'm sick of pancakes," the group's ringleader, Brenden Griffin, admitted more than four days after the feat.

Griffin, 17, came up with the idea when he saw a commercial for the restaurant's pancake special. He called the restaurant a week in advance to arrange a cordoned-off area for the group so they could eat in peace, and then somehow got six of his friends to join him.

"I don't know how I convinced anyone to do this with me," Griffin told the Daily News. "I always have crazy ideas."

For the first few hours, everyone in the group happily dug into pancakes. But things quickly got ugly.

When none of them could stomach the thought of eating another pancake, they got creative, designating one person to be the given "eater" at a time so they could share the load. To stay entertained, they put Tabasco sauce in each other's mouths, started a dance party and even played on the X-Box they set up at the restaurant.

"At the end the managers were so cool with us, we just walked in the kitchen and started pouring our own coffee," Griffin said.

The story was first reported in the Orange County Register by one of the boy's fathers, Greg Hardesty, who returned from a 24-hour endurance run to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project just in time to catch the last part of the pancake marathon.

"They're really good kids," Hardesty told the News. "I was thinking about this … they're 17-year-old boys and they're doing something I consider wholesome."

When he took home his exhausted son, Hardesty stopped by a Starbucks, where somehow the pancake champ still managed to eat a sandwich.

"He was hungry for anything but a pancake," he said.

The crew will head to Denny's again next week when the Guinness board comes into town to verify their record.

And after that, Griffin – who still has nightmares about pancakes –has big plans for his stomach.

The high school junior thinks he's going to spend his summer getting into competitive eating, and wants to challenge "Man vs. Food" host Adam Richman to a duel at his local Denny's.

"I called him out on the radio today," he said. "He'll find out how to contact me."

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2011/06/03/2011-06-03_only_4_california_teens_look_to_set_guinness_world_record_by_spending_24_hours_a.html

Archived