EE Broadway Local's Sun Tran Adventures Blog

Hi, Happy Friday! Today (Friday August 5th) while enroute to the (Captain James Tiberius) Kirk-Bear Canyon Library, I finally caught one of the eye-catching wrapped buses on the #5:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/images/news/S-Sun_Tran-t.jpg

The interior of bus #3000, I must say, is very nice!

The farebox is the newest electronic type. You swipe your monthly pass on the norteast corner at an angle and the display tells you that you're go to go.

The seating is longitudinal in the front half of this bus and the seats have a soft blue and gray upholstery. There are arm rests that separate each three (3) seat section.

Spaced evenly along the metal standee bar on each side are five (5) black cloth straps.

The back half, which is elevated and reached by two steps, features a combination - three (3) transverse seats - two (2) across, a three (3) seat longitudinal section, and transverse seating across the back wall.

These seats are black plastic, plain.

The floor is a pleasing speckled medium gray. The air conditioning on #3000 was nice on my ride.

I must add that the acceleration and decleration noises are awesome!

I caught this bus eastbound at 8:55am at West Speedway (West Speedway Boulevard) and North Alder Street (transfer from the #10 at that stop) and I rode it east to Udall Station, which turns out to be the bus terminal for the #5.

Udall Station is on the east side of North Sabino Canyon Road just south of East Tanque Verde Road and next to our Mr. Morris K. Udall Regional Park.

From this point, the #37, which stops on East Tanque Verde Road just northeast of Udall Station, provides service on Tanque Verde as far east as North Pantano Road.

In another thread, I mentioned finally catching one of our former Sun Tran express buses on the #10. Here is a photo of the exterior of one of these buses with a part of The Ronstadt in the background:

http://tbish.info/Sun_Tran-Bus_movement_at_Ronstadt_TC-s.jpg

New Sun Tran Ride Guides will be coming out out shortly. Our current Ride Guides are valid February 13th through August 14th and the cover features a saguaro cactus silhouetted against the night sky as lightning flashes.

• 1 month later...

Now I know! B) Our Sun Tran buses that are slightly rounded in their shape are 2000-2001 Nova Bus buses!

I caught bus # 2025 on Route # 10 this morning heading Downtown at 9:40 am.

Here is a photo of # 2022:

mid_Arizona2009_05-13-09-049.jpg

These Nova Bus buses have been appearing on Route #10 on Saturdays and are my third favorite type of Sun Tran Bus.

This turns out to be a Neoplan bus (1991, 1993, 1994):

9338.jpg

These Neoplan buses occaisionally now show up on Route # 16 as well as Route # 10 on weekdays but can be found more on Routes # 6, and # 11 both of which serve TIA (Tucson International Airport).

They've become my second favorite type of Sun Tran Bus.

In this photo, Route # 21 serves West Congress Street and North Silverbell Road to West Goret. North Silverbell is a nice area of Tucson.

Archived