Old Hoboken Elevated service?

Komsomolskaya

I made this timeline of rapid transit in the New York City area, with maps showing the system every five years 1875-2010. I feel the Public Service Railway's Hoboken Elevated, which operated 1886-1949, ought to be included, but have found online information on it to be very scarce. It sounds like the elevated originally only ran to Palisade Ave; when was it extended along Central Ave to the incline near Journal Sq? What services ran on the elevated, what were their routes once they left it, and in which years did they exist? Any relevant information would be appreciated.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! I do have that book Public Service Trolley Lines in New Jersey. I should go back and look up this line for a little more detail. Such a shame that it was torn down, as it looks like it was sort of like Hudson County's version of the Newark City Subway (except, of course, all elevated/surface). Had it been preserved, rail transit in Hudson County could very well have evolved quite differently than it had. Perhaps it may have survived as a single line, or incorporated into a larger transit system. Who knows where the line may have been extended to if the opposite forces prevailed.

Archived