M7 vs 46-68-160

Dan05979

Do you think an M7 & a R-46-68-160 Are the same width & height, And if so can they run on the each other's line. Always wonderd. Put a 6 car M7 on the (A) or (D) or (N) ect. will it cause damage? Or a 46,68,160 set on the lirr or metro north how would that function. I've seen pics of an R1&9 and R-46 on a LIRR line.

M7s are wider than B division stock (10' 5.3" wide), taller (10' 5.5" tall), much longer (85 feet as opposed to 75)... I wish they could. It'd have an extremely hard time navigating that wye in Rockaway.

I swear I found a picture of an M1 and an R44 behind each other somewhere. It didn't provide that great of an angle so you could really see the differences between the two, but it was cool nonetheless.

LIRR trains cannot run on NYC subway tracks due to power incompatibility issues;LIRR trains require much more electricity than subway trains

As for those R44 pics I'm assuming they must be from one of those times they were speed testing the R44s on the LIRR; that was before they turned it up on the LIR.

The R44 is shorter (in height and length) but wider, and the M1/M3 is taller but narrower.

Also, people. You can't protect the M7 interiors from idiots just tearing into the smallest rip in the fabric. Even the 25 year old M3s look nice, save for that horrible wallpaper that was so popular from the '70s to the '80s.

Archived