can a list expiration date be extended?

newjerseyguy

Promotion to Maintenance Supervisor

(Car Equipment)

Exam No.: 8581 (exam notice apply dates 6/3/09-6/23/09)

Established Date: January 4, 2012

Expiration Date: January 4, 2016 

I have been goggling for over an hour and found both the exam notice and the Employment news (2/2012) copied above. There is currently no scheduled exam in 2015 for the MS1 car equipment title.

This seems impossible to me looking at the last Exam history…

Apply dates June 3, 2009 to June 23, 2009

The test date for this exam was expected to be October 17, 2009

List Established Date: January 4, 2012 Expiration Date: January 4, 2016

It’s my understanding they are only about half way through the list created by exam 8581, but given that it took two and a half years from exam announcement to an established list they seem to way behind even if they can extend to five years.  

This is a complete and accurate timeline for an MS1 exam, I guess I will start searching civil service law next.

Anybody here anything different or have anything to add to this? 

http://www.cs.ny.gov/pio/summaryofcslaw/summofcsl-eligiblelists.cfm#duration

CSL § 56
PR § 68.1

The Civil Service Law provides that the duration of an eligible list shall be not less than one year or more than four years. If a list has been in existence for one year or more, it shall terminate upon the establishment of an appropriate new list unless the old list is extended by action of the Department of Civil Service. Additionally, should a financial emergency restrict the filling of vacancies, the Department of Civil Service may, in its discretion, extend the duration of the list for a period equivalent to the length of the restriction. Once a list expires, it cannot be revived, nor can an individual whose name was on the expired list receive an appointment on that basis.

LOL I'm home burning through some AVA's, and I think this sums it up…

without action from the New York State Department of Civil Service, the MTA cannot legally continue to hire from the current list after 01/04/16.

I think I'm going to start drafting a carefully worded letter to my barn chief. I have asked many people MS1,MS2,D.S. and there is no consensus on the law/policy of the MTA. 

Archived