NYCT Pre-employment Screening

Stv87

I recently was offered a job with NYCT in the engineering/architecture departments. When I say engineering I do not mean train engineer.

I should be discussing details with HR soon. I have tried to do some research on my own on this subject but cannot seem to find a straight answer. At this point I am at the mercy of the MTA/NYCT and whenever they choose to call me to discuss details.

My question is, Is drug testing required for employment with the nyct engineering/architecture departments?

Since it is engineering and architecture it is primarily a desk job. Not train conductor, or construction worker, or elevator operator, etc..

There was no mention of drug testing on the application, there was no mention of drug testing at the interview either. I know that MTA can be very strict with medical and drug screening however this is usually for jobs like conductors, and bus drivers. I have not found any concrete info that deals with this. What I did find was a pdf that goes through MTA employee safety programs and guidelines. In this it says that there are 30 positions within the MTA that require medical screening and fitness tests, but it doesn't list them.  Can anyone clarify this for me please? Engineering and Architecture are design fields so my initial thinking is that they would not fall into this category.

I do know that NYCT operates under the Civil Service guidelines. Even then though I am still unclear as to whether I would be considered a state employee or a city employee. They would have different criteria for employment.

I have talked to some people who say it wouldn't be required for the particular department I would be joining. Other people have said that no matter what department it is, all MTA/NYCT employees have to pass a drug screening.

I feel like basic employment procedures like this for any department should be public information, and readily available. I am finding unfortunately that this isn't the case.

While your position is not determined to be safety sensitive, you still must pass a drug screening to get the job.  You might not be subject to random screenings like RTO or Car Inspectors, that doesn't mean you have a free pass to indulge in controlled substances.

Dave I appreciate the response. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I have not and do not indulge in controlled substances.

Having said that, I am more concerned with the thing that is slowly being legalized across the country. I would hate to sacrifice a great opportunity with this organization because of the occasional partaking of this on the weekends. And the length of time it stays in the system. 

If all things go well I could start with them by next month.  It would then be hard to swallow that a random weekend down the road could haunt me 2 month later because they decided to do a random screening and then suddenly I am let go.

I'm just preparing myself for if its worth living under that kind of uncertainty.

Archived