How do drivers login to NYCT Buses?

Errin

So I know every bus in the MTA’s fleet now has Clever Devices IVN4. I’m not talking about the fancy Vianova/Clever/Luminator passenger screens, rather the actual Clever Devices IVN4 computer in the cabinet behind the driver. This is what PSAs usually play on, and hosts BusTime, provides for GPS tracking, vehicle health and whatnot. In the buses with the Clever LCDs, the IVN5 is used instead to combine the setup. 

So my question is, without a transit control head like many other systems in the world have, how does a NYCT driver login to the bus? Through the farebox? I know that those Clever Device transit control heads are coming soon since the farebox is going to be removed. This is always something I wondered however, since NJ Transit, NICE, etc all have a driver TCH screen. 

8 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Currently we log in through the fareboxes

So logging into the farebox sets the destination sign and the fancy LCD screens using single point login, correct? 

Also, any news with getting the new driver screens like NICE has etc? I’m guessing it has to happen soon if the fareboxes are going away, so you’d have a place to login. 

1 hour ago, Errin said:

So logging into the farebox sets the destination sign and the fancy LCD screens using single point login, correct? 

Also, any news with getting the new driver screens like NICE has etc? I’m guessing it has to happen soon if the fareboxes are going away, so you’d have a place to login. 

We can use the farebox to change the destination sign, correct

They've actually been testing the new radio/interface on some Staten Island buses- they need to get them ready for the whole fleet before they can do away with the fareboxes for good

1 hour ago, Errin said:

Also another question is do the OMNY readers show the driver anything about taps being unsuccessful or successful, since there is no driver facing screen? Do you just have to listen for sounds?

Other than the usual messages, no. All we have are the sounds of the transponders. The screen just says GO if the tag is successful and TAP AGAIN/CARD NOT ACCEPTED if it doesn't work

1 hour ago, Errin said:

Also….how does the driver control the OMNY reader? Since there is no driver screen. Like putting on inspection mode, disabling them, etc?? 

We can't control them, they activate when the bus is put into revenue service (meaning a valid destination code) and are deactivated when we go NOT IN SERVICE.

7 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

We can use the farebox to change the destination sign, correct

They've actually been testing the new radio/interface on some Staten Island buses- they need to get them ready for the whole fleet before they can do away with the fareboxes for good

Other than the usual messages, no. All we have are the sounds of the transponders. The screen just says GO if the tag is successful and TAP AGAIN/CARD NOT ACCEPTED if it doesn't work

We can't control them, they activate when the bus is put into revenue service (meaning a valid destination code) and are deactivated when we go NOT IN SERVICE.

Anyone have pics of the new interface and screen on the SI buses? I still haven’t seen a screen but maybe I’m waiting for the wrong buses.