MTA Job Hiring Process for Out-of-State Applicants

leehaartt

Hello everyone,

I am currently based in Florida and I am planning to relocate to New York City in the next 1.5 years. I am interested in finding a job as an electrician's apprentice with the MTA, as I already have a couple of years of experience as a commercial electrician's helper. I have a few questions regarding the MTA's job application process for out-of-state applicants and I was hoping someone with experience could help me out.

1. Has anyone had experience starting the hiring process or securing a job with the MTA before relocating to NYC from out of state? I am curious to know how the process worked for you and if you have any tips on how to approach the application process as an out-of-state applicant.

2. How strict is the MTA in regards to experience? I have read a few NOE's and noticed that a lot of the ones regarding electrical work require a certain amount of years of experience at the journey level. I currently have a couple of years of experience as a commercial electrician's helper and by the time I am ready to move, I should have 3.5 years of full-time, non journey electrical experience. Would this be enough to qualify for an electrician's helper apprentice position with the MTA?

3. The T/O position also sounds appealing to me, but from what I understand, I would have to be hired on as a cleaner or conductor and then promoted to T/O. Is this true? If so, what is the promotion process like and how long does it usually take via promotions?

I have read that it can take quite a while to hear back from the MTA after taking an exam. If it is realistically possible for me to start the hiring process out of state, I would like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before applying.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide. I appreciate it! Also please forgive me in advance for any errors, this is my first post here. I know most mta workers work hard and put their all into what they do so if my naïveté exceeds me it is not my intention to insult anyone.

-Lee