L-Train OPTO Specifics?

jonahgreen420

All,

I am writing my graduate thesis on subject of privacy and surveillance in metropolitan subway systems and am hoping you can answer a couple specific queries in regard to the NYC L-Train's OPTO system (ATO/CBTC).

1. Can you confirm that the cameras at the ends and center of each subway platform feed the monitor pillars also located at the ends of the platform?

2. Can you also confirm that the system is designed such that a motorman is to look at the monitors when running in OPTO mode, in order to safely close the doors when a conductor is not available?

3. Is the CCTV system truly a closed-circuit video system? Or do these cameras also feed the token booth in each station for security reasons? Do these cameras send video out of the station, to the control center for reasons of train location monitoring?

4. If video is indeed fed to the token booths and/or the control center, is it recorded? If so, how long are the recordings kept? If so, in what manner are they kept (tapes, digital database, etc.)?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate any help you can offer. I will follow up with a couple other questions once I can establish these basics.

Cheers,

Jonah Green

University of British Columbia

The (L) runs ATO, not OPTO. In ATO, He observes & make sure all everyone is clear of the train on the platform & it is safe for the Automatic Train Operation to proceed, then indicates to the system to do so. The ATO engages & the train leaves the station. But this type of 'monitoring' is primarily geared for passenger safety from train/passenger incidents, not security, so it really isn't a 'privacy and surveillance' issue. If you want to know about security, ect, yes there is a threat detection system & cameras throughout the system but you will wind up on more cameras walking Manhattan's streets.. Do your paper on Google Street View, you can write a book on violating privacy and surveillance..

All,

I am writing my graduate thesis on subject of privacy and surveillance in metropolitan subway systems and am hoping you can answer a couple specific queries in regard to the NYC L-Train's OPTO system (ATO/CBTC).

1. Can you confirm that the cameras at the ends and center of each subway platform feed the monitor pillars also located at the ends of the platform?

2. Can you also confirm that the system is designed such that a motorman is to look at the monitors when running in OPTO mode, in order to safely close the doors when a conductor is not available?

3. Is the CCTV system truly a closed-circuit video system? Or do these cameras also feed the token booth in each station for security reasons? Do these cameras send video out of the station, to the control center for reasons of train location monitoring?

4. If video is indeed fed to the token booths and/or the control center, is it recorded? If so, how long are the recordings kept? If so, in what manner are they kept (tapes, digital database, etc.)?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate any help you can offer. I will follow up with a couple other questions once I can establish these basics.

Cheers,

Jonah Green

University of British Columbia

If you want to know ask the MTA it's self's. This information should not be given to him from anyone on this broad or any board for that fact. Sorry, I am a T/O for the MTA and I will not post it myself, under the fact that it's not from everyone to know.

Archived