Removing/Viewing EXIF/Meta Photo Info on Windows

Courtesy of PC World Magazine (July 2009):

Written in an easier way by me!

Reviewing Image(s) Properties

If you want to review an Image EXIF(Exchangeable image file format) information, as well as image specification, camera model, ISO settings and others within an image, you can do so via Microsoft Windows 7, Server 2008 Release 2(R2), Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008(Regular Release)!

Start by going to the image via Windows Explorer. (Such as "Pictures)

In Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 (Pre-Release/Final), you can find "My Pictures" under the Libraries folder, or in the Start Menu.

Windows Vista/Server 2008, you can find it under start menu or your User Name Folder in the Desktop.

Anyways. Start by Right Clicking the Image(s), click "Properties." Next on the Tabs on top of the Image Properties, click "Detail" Tab.

Right there you will find all the information about your(or anyone) image. Such as Camera Model, ISO settings, Zooms, GPS Location(Depending on the camera with GPS), Shutter Speed and so on. As well as File Location within your home.

Removing the Image Properties:

If you feel insecure about letting people know on what camera you have or settings set, or don't want people to know where you took you image. (GPS coordinates of course). You can always remove it from 1 or more images!

Shot of the Steps

1z53clj.jpg

Follow these steps:

If its one Image, Right Click it, if its more then one image, you can select them and hold the Ctrl Key on your keyboard or select all of the images ether by the mouse or clicking (Ctrl+A) on your keyboard for all.

Click "Properties", head to the Details Tab.

Next: Click "Remove Properties and Personal Information"

A new pop-up will appear.

If you want to preserve images with the EXIF info, leave the "Create a Copy with all possible properties removes" Selected.

If you want to remove ALL(Or Some) EXIF into within the image, select: "Remove the following properties from this file(s)" and select them, or Click "Select All" box.

Click the OK button when you are finish. Windows will ask you to confirm, click "OK" or "Yes" if asked. And wait till Windows is Finished! After that your Images EXIF will be removed~

Results:

24dne3p.jpg

Of course the Image Location will still exist, but thats ONLY on your Computer, won't be sent of the Internet or Network!

For users using Windows Prior to Windows Vista (Including Windows XP, 2000, ME, 9x) use the following app instead:

JPEG & PNG Stripper=

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30

(Free)

(Can also be used on all Windows version, Windows 95 and later)

This topic Applies to:

Windows 7 (Pre-Release/Final)

Windows Server 2008 /R2

Windows Vista

Windows XP and older

Enjoy!

Why remove the EXIF info? Trying to hide something?

Like umm No............ This is for people who dont want there shots to contain any EXIF. As well as reviewing it. Plus GPS settings are in this, depends on Camera with GPS.. Is there problem with that, cuz i dont see any problem.. Are you hiding something? Cuz im not lol. No offense tho. And i dont steal any photography so plz dont say that. I dont take photos..

@Joe ROFL, funny xD

If you already use photoshop and want to remove EXIF info all you have to do is copy the original picture and paste it into a new file and save it that way. Sometimes people dont want to advertise what camera model or settings or any other possible identifiable ifo or what ever reasons someone may have.

Sometimes people dont want to advertise what camera model or settings or any other possible identifiable ifo or what ever reasons someone may have.

I have a tinfoil hat to sell those folks. It is revolutionary.

This thread actually gave me an idea of a tagging app that would let you store car type, line, route, car number(s) in photo all as metadata.

I have a tinfoil hat to sell those folks. It is revolutionary.

This thread actually gave me an idea of a tagging app that would let you store car type, line, route, car number(s) in photo all as metadata.

Thats a pretty good idea

Would facilitate easy searches as well. Almost every webhost offers PHP and MySQL (or some sort of SQL server). You could have a system where you can search for (for example) car number 3030 on the West End line. Much more flexible than a folder sorting system.

Archived