NS 3031 hooked to amtrak work train?

metsfan

Near the refinery branch south of newark airport i saw a NS unit 3031 hooked up to what looked like an amtrak ballast hopper/raised side flat car consist, with a amtk work unit on the "eastbound" end. It was sitting just "west" of the tank car depot there. Anyone know what they were doin'?

- A

Yes infact I do!

3031 was used with a ballast/work train earlier in the week, I remember hearing CETC8 calling to the ballast train and them responding in kindly Amtrak xxxx(can't remember exact symbol) with the NS 3031 and then the standard form D stuff was said.

Also I think you may be referring to Merck plant whichis where Linden yard and the GM plant were in between Linden and Rahway. Today Merck is the only customer and they store tank cars there as well as transit and Amtrak keep stuff there.

Yes infact I do!

3031 was used with a ballast/work train earlier in the week, I remember hearing CETC8 calling to the ballast train and them responding in kindly Amtrak xxxx(can't remember exact symbol) with the NS 3031 and then the standard form D stuff was said.

Also I think you may be referring to Merck plant whichis where Linden yard and the GM plant were in between Linden and Rahway. Today Merck is the only customer and they store tank cars there as well as transit and Amtrak keep stuff there.

Yes, the Merck plant! Man that place is imposing. :eek:

Were the cars just chilling unhooked and NS moved them?

I've noticed that the tie replacement operation (now moved to the westbound express track) is also replacing all of the ballast with the ties. You can plainly see the ties sitting on the lower level of ballast stone, but uncovered up from that, then the hoppers come along & do their thing, and the other equipment moves it and makes it stable. Lots of Plasser & Loram stuff on that job too.

- A

I don't have the full story about why the NS unit was being used, but my guess is the usual Amtrak work power was back in Philly for fuel or some other reason so this was the closest thing they could get.

Interesting you say that, because later that evening, i saw a 2 engine ballast train zoom past levittown around 8:55 pm. Had a transfer caboose on the tail end.

I do have video of it which i will be posting ASAP. :cool:

- A

Archived