42nd Street Shuttle - Wheelchair Access

auronrenouille

First off, before this gets off track (no pun intended), I'm aware that the (7) is accessible at both GCT and Times Square. However, I'm also aware that the elevators for the (7) at GCT can be somewhat iffy, and to my memory, the (S) at Times Square is easily accessed right off the mezzanine elevator at Times Square.

Is there wheelchair access at the (S) at GCT? I can't remember where the GCT end of the (S) puts people - to my memory, it's attached to one of the (4)(5)(6) platforms and wheelchair users can bogart the Lexington IRT's elevators. The last time I was in New York (Fall 2007) there were rampant and serious elevator outages at GCT and I honestly can't remember how I gained access to the station, but I tend to think I eventually took the (S) to avoid the problems on the (7). I know that MTA discourages wheelchair users from using the (S) due to the large platform gap at Times Square, as well as the sketchy gap fillers that can make the gap a little wide for wheelchair users, but I'm fairly athletic and I've never found that to be more than an annoyance.

Any advice? Thank you ;).

That is indeed an issue with Times Square. You would think that the shuttle is wheelchair-accessible; it could be but the gap fillers at Times Square don't really allow people with wheelchairs to get on and off that easily. They should really consider installing new gap fillers at the station, similar to those at Union Square-14th Street.

Aware of the gap issue, but is there elevator access on the GCT end? I know I was able to bridge the gap with minimal annoyance, but I can't recall if I had to turn around when I got to GCT on the (S) or the (7) due to the elevator outages at GCT - one of those tries failed and I can't recall which one.

I'm not asking about the (7), I'm asking about the (S)... To my memory, the only reason the (S) isn't considered accessible is because of the platform gap at Times Square, that it's accessible at GCT via the Lex IRT elevators, and thus can be more convenient and fewer elevators than the (7). Is this correct?

*sighs*. Did I need to re-word my post?

I'm not asking about the (7), I'm asking about the (S)... To my memory, the only reason the (S) isn't considered accessible is because of the platform gap at Times Square, that it's accessible at GCT via the Lex IRT elevators, and thus can be more convenient and fewer elevators than the (7). Is this correct?

*sighs*. Did I need to re-word my post?

This is correct. The gap issue at Times Square is the only reason why riding the shuttle if you're using a wheelchair would pose a problem. I have yet to see any wheelchair passengers take the Shuttle at Grand Central to later realize that they can't get out at Times Square.

Great. that definitely answers my question B). I'll keep that in mind. I've learned from living in Boston in '04-'07 and NYC back in '02 that it's always best to know at least two ways to get anywhere due to the risk of elevator outages etc., so that helps greatly :).

Glad that answers your question. Yup, it's always great to have alternative routes prepared form point A to B.

Archived