E on the V...and I am on the wrong express

bharat

So I hopped on the (E) at WTC a little later than usual on Thu morning - around 8.45 perhaps. All was well until Canal. Then at W4, the (E) was diverted onto the (V)-soon-to-be-(M) line and I, alongwith a bunch of others, ended up on the wrong express!

http://eone.vox.com/library/post/mar-27-commuting-incidents-this-week-contd.html

Also, what's the deal with some (E) only running upto Kew Gardens and not Jamaica Center?

Hello bharat. There was a stalled E train at 50th Street in which forced the (E) to run on the 6th Avenue Line from West 4th Street to 5th Avenue/53rd Street with some (E) trains going on the (C) 8th Avenue/Central Park West Line to Washington Heights-168th Street.

And to answer your question about the (E) terminating at Kew Gardens: During the morning, about 2 or so (E) trains terminate at Kew Gardens in order to return to Jamaica Yard for Layup until the Afternoon.

Hope this answers your questions.

So I hopped on the (E) at WTC a little later than usual on Thu morning - around 8.45 perhaps. All was well until Canal. Then at W4, the (E) was diverted onto the (V)-soon-to-be-(M) line and I, alongwith a bunch of others, ended up on the wrong express!

http://eone.vox.com/library/post/mar-27-commuting-incidents-this-week-contd.html

Also, what's the deal with some (E) only running upto Kew Gardens and not Jamaica Center?

At the end of the AM rush, 3 E trains are scheduled to drop out at Kew Gardens and lay up to 179 for PM service since Jamaica Center can't fit all the after AM rush lay-ups.

So it was another (E) that was stalled? Mechanical problems with the R160?

What do you mean by another? Trains are machines and yes, sometimes they do break down. R44's sometimes break down, R46's sometimes break down, R68's sometimes..........Some subway delays and reroutes are caused by mechanical breakdown of a train, but others are caused by other factors.

What do you mean by another? Trains are machines and yes, sometimes they do break down. R44's sometimes break down, R46's sometimes break down, R68's sometimes..........Some subway delays and reroutes are caused by mechanical breakdown of a train, but others are caused by other factors.

Agreed. By "another" E, I didn't imply that there was a pattern of R160 breakdowns or breakdowns with other trainsets. I am more than happy with the level of service I get. Just wanted to know if anyone knew if the reason for the stall was a mechanical issue or something else (sick passenger, police activity.....). In this case, it would have helped if the conductor had made everyone aware of the fact that the E was on the lower level of W4 and not the upper level - especially as an express was waiting with doors open.

Agreed. By "another" E, I didn't imply that there was a pattern of R160 breakdowns or breakdowns with other trainsets. I am more than happy with the level of service I get. Just wanted to know if anyone knew if the reason for the stall was a mechanical issue or something else (sick passenger, police activity.....). In this case, it would have helped if the conductor had made everyone aware of the fact that the E was on the lower level of W4 and not the upper level - especially as an express was waiting with doors open.

The only way the conductor could have been aware that the E was on the lower level of W.4th was if the dispatcher told him! Also, there should have been announcements made of the location change by either the dedicated announcer (if there was one assigned to W.4th), or the dispatcher at that location. The responsibility is on supervision.

Archived