NY Post: Police Search For Deputy Shot With AK-47

From the New York Post Online Edition:

Police Search For Deputy Shot In Arizona By Suspected Illegal Immigrant

NEWSCORE / myFOXPhoenix.com

Last Updated: 8:58pm April 30,2010

POSTED: 8:57 PM April 30.2010

Police are searching for a Pinal County sherriff's deputy who was shot with an AK-47 by a suspected illegal immigrant, myFOXPhoenix reported.

The deputy was shot (with the AK-47) during a traffic stop about 4:30 pm (local time) when he pulled over a vehicle containing a group of suspected illegal immigrants on the I-8 west of Casa Grande, Arizona.

He radioed in to report he was shot with an AK-47 in a desert area, said Pinal County Sherriff's Office spokeswoman Tamantha Villar.

The deputy was in contact with authorities, helping to guide them to his location. A medical helicopter was on the way.

Authorities also were searching for the suspects, who fled.

It apparently was an ambush by Drug Smugglers (not "Coyotes") who had been hauling bales of Mary Jane. I-8 which runs from I-10 here in Arizona to San Diego has a reputation as a "drug corridor".

Two of them fired as many as thirty rounds from two AK-47s but only one round hit the Sherriff's Deputy, piercing his abdomen. The Drug Smugglers even fired a round at a helicopter coming to rescue the deputy before escaping.

The five men are in a ten by ten mile area of dense desert and are still being tracked today. The geography presents a challenge because there are mountains and a lot of desert brush providing a lot of hiding places.

The deputy was not seriously injured, amazingly.

Archived