MTA Intercom System Debuts

mark1447

MTA wants to save money but is spending money on things not needed.

MTA New York City Transit’s newly designed Help Point Intercom (HPI) prototype marks an important shift toward providing subway customers waiting in stations with a reliable, highly visible and easy-to-use communications device that will offer instant access to help and information with the touch of a button. New York City Transit officials demonstrated the new system to MTA Board members on Monday.

Created specifically for the subway environment, the HPI is designed to be an easily recognizable communications tool for subway customers who need to report an emergency or simply want to ask, “What train goes to the Rockaways?” Customers can expect faster response times, improved capabilities and much clearer audio than they are accustomed to with the Customer Assistance Intercoms currently in use in subway stations.

Their unique appearance will make the HPIs easily identifiable, whether located on station mezzanines or platforms. The sleek, modern design is metal with a blue light on top to enhance its visibility. The units are designed to be mounted vertically on either a station wall or platform column. The HPIs will be easy to use and have induction loop technology for the hearing impaired. The new technology devices will also be camera capable.

“These HPIs are another example of how the MTA is using technology to fundamentally change the way that our customers experience the transit system each day,” MTA Chairman and CEO Jay H. Walder said.

“We have designed the HPI to be a major step beyond the Customer Assistance Intercoms that passengers may see in stations now,” NYC Transit President Thomas F. Prendergast said. “Make no mistake, this device represents impressive 21st century technology and it demonstrates our ability to incorporate it into a system that is more than 100 years old.”

In addition to the speaker and the microphone, the control panel contains a red emergency button and a green information button. Emergency calls are routed to the subway Rail Control Center while information calls are sent to Travel Information or the station booth.

Plans currently call for a pilot installation in two stations along the Lexington Avenue Line---Brooklyn Bridge and 23rd Street Stations. The pilot will also serve as an evaluation platform to compare wired and wireless units. The full roll out will be determined after the evaluation of the pilot.

001p1.preview.jpg

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2010-09-29/Front_Page/MTA_Intercom_System_Debuts.html

Big f**kin' waste of time and money.

How can you say that, these things are critical to the security of the city and they will keep everyone safe. Anyone who should need to use these will be met by a friendly and helpful operator and a rapid response from the police.

HA! I can't wait till they start outsourcing those calls too. Someone's going to ask for help saying there's an assault and battery in progress and they're going to get, "ello, tank ju for calling MTA. before we rispont tyoo yure sitwayshin are ju eentrested in signing up for ahwer nyoo tap met-od off fare paymint?"

Doesn't look too shabby. Might be useful.

ya I wonder if its ENGLISH only. and if buses will be added too.

How can you say that, these things are critical to the security of the city and they will keep everyone safe. Anyone who should need to use these will be met by a friendly and helpful operator and a rapid response from the police.

And is like people really gonne use it? Some people press the Intercom button on purpose without any help needed.

Dude, I'm not trying to make a joke. Half the time myself and others on here have no idea what your trying to say.

oops my bad i got it. I was asking.. Is people really gonna use this? as a i don't see people around using the current intercoms in stations and elevator at times except to play with the button. (some idiots)

Archived