MaBSTOA vs. NYCTA

VKalladeen

Im a recent nyct employee (mechanics helper group :P and saw that the test for maintainer came out for mabstoa/mta bus. I was just wondering if its worth it to leave ta for oa or is it really not that big of a deal. Ppl here at ta make it seem like oa is hell. But really the main thing i see is civil service or not. Is it really that much of a difference? The pay is just about the same....

Other than civil service status, there are some differences between OA and TA.In OA, CMs(chassis maintainers) can make a request to become a body maintainer without the need to take a separate exam. In my opinion, TA is the my job is safe side and OA is the "We'll watch your back" side.

One thing you gotta look out for in the MaBSTOA/MTA Bus test is that they may stick you into MTA Bus which pays $20-21 an hr for new hires whereas OA gets the same starting pay as TA. Currently, there aren't any vacancies in OA(we still have guys laid off waiting to come back) but plenty at MTA Bus.

Other than civil service status, there are some differences between OA and TA.In OA, CMs(chassis maintainers) can make a request to become a body maintainer without the need to take a separate exam. In my opinion, TA is the my job is safe side and OA is the "We'll watch your back" side.

One thing you gotta look out for in the MaBSTOA/MTA Bus test is that they may stick you into MTA Bus which pays $20-21 an hr for new hires whereas OA gets the same starting pay as TA. Currently, there aren't any vacancies in OA(we still have guys laid off waiting to come back) but plenty at MTA Bus.

I figured it was something like that. I spoke to one of my line supervisors today and he says take the test and if i get thru with mabstoa go for it cuz i always have a year to come back to my ta position. And soon after they would come out with the bmb exam and take that and come back to ta. He also stated the union for oa is alot stronger and tighter than in ta and oa guys usually get what they want cuz they stick together unlike ta and in addition oa guys tend to get alot more ot than ta. Whatever the case maybe ill still take the exam and if i can get thru to mabstoa i suppose ill try it and if i dont like it ill come back to ta. But ill never go to mta bus. Worst case scenerio is at least ill know what to expect when i take the bmb test for ta because from what i understand its the same test.

Once you come OA, you're not going to want to go back....lol In my opinion, civil service status is only important during the first five years or so.After that, your job is pretty much secure from lay offs.

Oh, I forgot to mention that in OA our senority carries with us from the cleaner title all the way to CM. Unlike TA, where your senority drops back to the bottom each time you change titles. So keep it in mind if you ever plan on becoming a body guy later down the road.

Archived