Cops fail to find loaded gun on suspect

Trainspotter

They're not the sharpest cops, and lucky for them the perp was even dumber.

Cops failed to find a loaded gun stashed in the pants of a suspect arrested for farebeating at a Brooklyn subway station, the Daily News has learned.

The whole time Trevis Jeffery sat in a precinct holding cell, he was armed with a 9-mm. semiautomatic handgun, according to a criminal complaint filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

At some point, Jeffery asked to use the bathroom in the stationhouse and only after he came out of the bathroom did one of the arresting cops "pat down the defendant again," according to the complaint. That's when the cop found the gun.

A police source said two plainclothes cops who arrested Jeffery in the subway face discipline for endangering everyone in the 83rd Precinct stationhouse.

"They're lucky they weren't killed," said another police source.

The plainclothes officers, assigned to the NYPD Transit Task Force, failed to find the weapon during a patdown at the Wilson Ave. subway station, court papers say.

The complaint does not say whether the cops conducted a more thorough search of the suspect immediately after arriving at the stationhouse as required under NYPD regulations.

Jeffery, 18, was spotted by cops using a student MetroCard on April 24 when school was closed. He couldn't produce identification, so cops arrested him.

"One of the officers briefly patted down the defendant, following which the officers took the defendant to the precinct and put him in a cell," according to the complaint.

Jeffery is being prosecuted by the feds because he's a convicted felon accused of possessing an illegal handgun.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 1, 2008

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 1, 2008

WTF???? That reminds me of an episode of New York Undercover that I saw the other day. They are real lucky he didn't try to use it at the precinct. He would have been better off waiting to use the restroom. One less gun on the streets is good though. Bad for the perp, cause he's going to the fed joint!

See this is what I really hate, lazy dumb ass officers who only care about them selfs. If the plain cloth guys had done their job in the first place by tossing the perp in the subway were they got him, this would have been avoided. I hope that if the two are not fired that they never see the light of day and are on restricted duty till they "want" to resign. But there should be an inviestigation into it, cause it is possible that he got the gun in the station house bathroom. Alot of officers could have been hurt by this guy.

Archived