Old M1/M3 set in Richmond Hill Yard?

Tbirdbassist

They sit on a bumpered storage track right next to the Atlantic branch tracks, just as they start to descend into the tunnel you can get a good look at them. They have no third rail shoes and seem to be just rotting away, I just noticed them as I started taking the train to Flatbush to hop on the Q to Chinatown.

Really dirty, broken windows it looked like, etc... trucks look to be in bad shape as well. Anyone know whats up with these? I keep forgetting to catch the car numbers but I assume these are being preserved for some reason?

You can see them on Google Maps, but I dunno how to do that hotlink image thing on here, I don't post here too often anymore.

Thanks!

They sit on a bumpered storage track right next to the Atlantic branch tracks, just as they start to descend into the tunnel you can get a good look at them. They have no third rail shoes and seem to be just rotting away, I just noticed them as I started taking the train to Flatbush to hop on the Q to Chinatown.

Really dirty, broken windows it looked like, etc... trucks look to be in bad shape as well. Anyone know whats up with these? I keep forgetting to catch the car numbers but I assume these are being preserved for some reason?

You can see them on Google Maps, but I dunno how to do that hotlink image thing on here, I don't post here too often anymore.

Thanks!

That is Morris Park Yard, not Richmond Hill (which is up on the hill you see in the background). The M1's have been there for years (they were there in 2009), and I think it is the set from Bethpage that was moved there to prevent vandalism. They are supposed to be part of the New York Transit Museum, but the museum has no capability of storing or displaying a commuter rail car.

That is Morris Park Yard, not Richmond Hill (which is up on the hill you see in the background). The M1's have been there for years (they were there in 2009), and I think it is the set from Bethpage that was moved there to prevent vandalism. They are supposed to be part of the New York Transit Museum, but the museum has no capability of storing or displaying a commuter rail car.

No offense, but I didn't mean to thank you. I hit the button by accident.

However, you're right about MPY and the set being of the M1 class. I believe that this pair, numbered 9745-46, had been in Hicksville until they were moved to their present location. As far as the bit about the museum, you can tack on the issue of even getting the pair down the rails and into the damn place. The only route that I can envision would be a flatbed ride to 207th, all the way down 8th Avenue and into Brooklyn via the Cranberry Tubes and then one of two possible relay moves onto the museum tracks just railroad north (east) of Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Does anyone know if there's enough clearance for the pair in the transit system for the Metropolitans to make it into the museum without incident?

And regarding Bethpage: I believe that there still is a pair of M1 cars at the fire department training facility, numbered 9411-9412.

The only route that I can envision would be a flatbed ride to 207th, all the way down 8th Avenue and into Brooklyn via the Cranberry Tubes and then one of two possible relay moves onto the museum tracks just railroad north (east) of Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Does anyone know if there's enough clearance for the pair in the transit system for the Metropolitans to make it into the museum without incident?

Probably in terms of height (the caboose fit), but I believe they are too long for the subway.

As for how they got the caboose down into NYTM:

Linden connection to the (L)-(J) at Broadway Jct-4 Ave and Sea Beach (N)-Coney Island-Culver (F)-Jay St (A)-Museum

The faster way would be to run up the Chrystie St Cut and back down, but GO's rendered that route impassable for that particular move and curvature would probably be an issue.

Probably in terms of height (the caboose fit), but I believe they are too long for the subway.

As for how they got the caboose down into NYTM:

Linden connection to the (L)-(J) at Broadway Jct-4 Ave and Sea Beach (N)-Coney Island-Culver (F)-Jay St (A)-Museum

The faster way would be to run up the Chrystie St Cut and back down, but GO's rendered that route impassable for that particular move and curvature would probably be an issue.

You can forget about moving an 85'0" M1 car on BMT Eastern Division trackage (J, M, Z, L lines) - that includes the Chrystie Cut. The center plates alone are 59'6" apart on the M1's. From what I understand that C-60 move was a tight squeeze.

Is it possible for an M1 to be trucked to CIY, towed up the Culver and use the crossover at Jay Street to do a relay move onto the Fulton Street tracks so that it can then head into Hoyt-Schermerhorn for the relay that I had mentioned before?

Archived