Two Questions about the R36 ML...

R1103

I have two questions about the R36 ML (the last IRT Redbirds ordered, ((along with WF units)), the 34 car follow up to the R33)

1. Was/Is there any kind of difference between them and the R33 ML cars?

2. Where are the last two cars (9542-9543, TM museum pair) stored? (You don't really need to answer this one, I just always wondered about it, since there are no recent pics of that pair.)

Thanks!

I have two questions about the R36 ML (the last IRT Redbirds ordered, ((along with WF units)), the 34 car follow up to the R33)

2. Where are the last two cars (9542-9543, TM museum pair) stored? (You don't really need to answer this one, I just always wondered about it, since there are no recent pics of that pair.)

Thanks!

All but one pair of R36 MLs were scrapped. With the arrival of the R142As on the 6 train, the R36 MLs were transferred over to the 7 train. The last pair, numbers 9542-9543, ran on the 7 until May 2003. They went to the New York Transit Museum in 2004.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R36_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

2. Where are the last two cars (9542-9543, TM museum pair) stored? (You

9542-43 are currently stored on the connector tracks to the Museum, west of Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

As for difference between the Main Line R33 and R36s, prior to GOH, there were none. However all ML R36s were Westinghouse (and identical more or less to the WE R33 MLs). Some ML R36s were equipped were "IDENTRA" train communication in the 1960s on the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-7_svg.png line. These cars were the last IRT SMEEs and also the last LAHT (non-stainless) cars. The first were delivered July 24, 1964 and the last entered service September 22.

After GOH all the Main Line R33s were now GE and the Main Line R36s remained Westinghouse. The Main Line R36s then spent their the remainder of the lives on the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-6_svg.png with WE R29s and WE R36 WFs in the 9478-9523 series until R142A delivery in 2001.

Archived