f/1.8 50mm

Here's the story: so I decided to buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens for my SLR, hoping I'd be able to get good night and underground shots. That didn't work out too well as the AF was just horrible underground and I ended up getting shots like this-

img0025je.jpg

However, I seem to have found a new use for this lens - outdoors. The macro on this thing works like a charm lol..

Don't know if you can really see it (except for the 2nd pic lol) but the background is (supposed to be anyway) blurred out.

img0003copye.jpg

img0004copy.jpg

img0005copyf.jpg

img0006copy.jpg

And plus this lens attached to my SLR fits into my coat pocket lol so i guess it wasn't a complete waste..anyway, thanks for looking!

The 50 on a crop camera is a bit tough to use underground. Look into a 35 instead...much better FOV. You may have better luck by using manual focus and prefocusing to a specific spot. Once the object comes into the field, you wait until it arrives at the focus point. AF gets really funky when you have the bright seal beams in the photo like that...though the photo really isn't that bad. Add a touch of gaussian blur and unsharp mask to do some NR.

I know that lens, since I have one too. it takes some time to get used to, but it is possible to get decent shots with it:

IMG_1718.JPG

Jon's Train Photos - Viewing Image 634

IMG_9098.JPG

Jon's Train Photos - Viewing Image 120

Set your camera to Tv and shutter speed to 1/125 that will force it to use f1.8 which is where it really shines in low light situations. ISO you can back down to 400 and it will still work, 800 is good too.

Alright, thanks for the tips..I'll try it out next time lol

I tried looking for a 35mm but apparently they only make those for nikon, i couldn't find a 35mm 1.8 for canon

theres a 35mm f2.0, its a bit expensive so I personally am not willing to test it out in case it doesnt work out for me.

Archived