4 train came to a sudden halt at Franklin Ave yesterday

TriboroughBridge

Apparently, yesterday, someone pulled the emergency cord on a Manhattan bound (4) train, as it was entering Franklin Ave.

I was coming off a (2) train to catch a (4), to see that only one half door of each car was open & which seemed to be that the train was shortened, so in my mind I thought it was a shuttle, but I heard nothing about a (4) shuttle & the train said "Woodlawn". So I looked down the station & saw more of the train still in the tunnel, so this was no shuttle.

Then, I heard a police officer saying to someone, "Yeah, some jackass pulled the emergency cord" :cool: I couldn't stop laughing, even though I was a little ticked off because of it.

If anybody heard about this & know what happened, could you please let me know?

Thanks!

I wasn't there to witness the event, but good thing this didn't happen on any of my commutes to Brooklyn College.

Since the police officer said that, I'm assuming it wasn't emergency-related. I guess even the "alarm will sound" won't deter some people who just likes to cause mischief. Even if it was just plain curiosity, one shouldn't even pull the brake in any case except for its intended purpose.

People just shouldn't pull the emergency chord at all. The Gare de Lyon rail disaster in France during 1988 was caused by someone pulling the emergency chord. When they did the timing of the trains became off and the train coming into the station collided with the train in the station killing 56 people and injuring 57. So pulling the chord isn't some joke. It's like pulling a fire alarm when there is no fire. It just should not happen.

Gare de Lyon rail accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the police officer said that, I'm assuming it wasn't emergency-related. I guess even the "alarm will sound" won't deter some people who just likes to cause mischief. Even if it was just plain curiosity, one shouldn't even pull the brake in any case except for its intended purpose.

Yeah it was pretty calm there, when I got there, dont know what happened before & after I got to & left Franklin though.

So pulling the chord isn't some joke. It's like pulling a fire alarm when there is no fire. It just should not happen.

No, pulling the emergency cord is worse than pulling a fire alarm.

I always get nervous that some homicidal maniac is going to pull the cord while a train is flying through a tunnel. :eek:

Thank you R44 CNG for the video! I finally know when the cord is able to be pulled! I wish the (MTA) would let people know, they didn't put that anywhere in the subways.

Archived