Are these directions correct to the bleecker 6 train?

JL77

if anyone here might be able to help, i'd greatly appreciate it!

i am editing a program, and although i lived in nyc for years, i can't remember if these instructions to the uptown 6 bleecker st. train are correct. could one of these be directing to a downtown only?

thanks!

"At the end of your touring today, you will return to the Doubletree Metropolitan via the #6 TO UPTOWN Subway (green on maps) from EITHER:

1.) Spring Street and Lafayette Street

(2 blocks east of Broadway on Spring)

2.) Bleecker Street and Lafayette Street

(1 block north of Adidas on Broadway, then east on Bleecker to station)

Your first intersection (number 1) is spring street station, your second one (number 2) is bleecker street station. Both go up and down, and both are the (6).

In between these two (6) stations and nearby to the west there are stations serving the (R) and (W) on prince street, and (B)(D)(F)(V) at the intersection of broadway & lafayette.

The stations have no cross-between for service in the other direction, but at street level the direction of trains should be indicated at the entrance visible from the sidewalk when looking down into the entrance. Here's a photo to asist in your description...

Springstirtjeh.JPG

Hope that helps!

- Andy

hey,

thanks so much for your reply.

but i am still confused. you said that they both go up and down...but in your photo it's "downtown only".

in other words:

where is the spring street UPTOWN 6? do my directions point to it correctly, or are they to the downtown only train that you have posted?

jackie

hey,

thanks so much for your reply.

but i am still confused. you said that they both go up and down...but in your photo it's "downtown only".

in other words:

where is the spring street UPTOWN 6? do my directions point to it correctly, or are they to the downtown only train that you have posted?

jackie

The photo is to let you know where to find where the up/down indicator is at each station. On the other side of the street there would be the uptown entrance. B)

- Andy

thanks!

i just remembered there being an odd station, maybe it was the bleecker st. one, where there was no uptown on the other side of the street. you had to walk a couple of blocks elsewhere to find it. anyway, problem solved. thanks:)

thanks!

i just remembered there being an odd station, maybe it was the bleecker st. one, where there was no uptown on the other side of the street. you had to walk a couple of blocks elsewhere to find it. anyway, problem solved. thanks:)

Both of them are like that. There are a few other weird stations too. Sometimes makes you wonder what those subway construction folks were thinking... but at the same time most of the "weird" stations are like that for a reason, either still relevant or long forgotten.

- Andy

I know what you mean about the Bleecker Street station. At the entrance on Houston and Lafayette, there is access to the downtown (6) and the (B)(D)(F)(V) (both directions), but not to the uptown (6). You would catch the uptown (6) at Bleecker and Lafayette.

Metsfan, Broadway- Lafayette is on Houston Street between Broadway and Lafayette Streets. You can't cross over on Prince Street on the (R)(W), but you can on Broadway- Lafayette.

I know what you mean about the Bleecker Street station. At the entrance on Houston and Lafayette, there is access to the downtown (6) and the (B)(D)(F)(V) (both directions), but not to the uptown (6). You would catch the uptown (6) at Bleecker and Lafayette.

Metsfan, Broadway- Lafayette is on Houston Street between Broadway and Lafayette Streets. You can't cross over on Prince Street on the (R)(W), but you can on Broadway- Lafayette.

Wha? Both of those (6) stations go both ways, you just have to pick which way from the street. There's a 3rd station with access to more trains than the (6) like you said, however again you have to pick which side you want at street level for the (6). There's a photo of it somewhere, maybe its at subway.org. I'll put them in below plus the info on all 3 stations to clear up any confusion.

Bleecker: Bleecker Street is next. This station features a very large offset between the platforms and has no crossover or crossunder. The station features typical IRT mosaics with two styles of small "Bleecker Street" mosaics. There is a closed off old exit gate on the southbound side across from the northbound fare control. The fare control is at platform level. A transfer to the IND 6th Avenue line's Broadway/Lafayette Street station is at the south end of the southbound platform only. Future renovation will provide a transfer for the northbound side.

Spring: Local station with two side platforms alongside four tracks, and one center disused trackway. Fare control is at platform level, and the station was not designed with a pedestrian underpass between the platforms. The station retains the typical large and small IRT mosaics in the original portion. The portion of the station added during the various platform lengthening projects has simple white tile.

The fifth center track, installed as part of the original construction and depicted in early publicity photos, is reported to have been disconnected by 1906. Its intended function is unclear. The locations of switches to and from this center track to the express tracks can be seen at one point along the center track walls. A mechanical room is now located in the trackway at the south end between the two express tracks.

As you can see in the bleecker st photo there's both entrances!

Bleeker: img_32442.jpg

As you can see spring st has its uptown entrance on the other side of the street

Spring: img_54283.jpg

I hope this clears up any confusion as to what i was trying to say.

- Andy

Bleecker does go both ways. There is a northbound and southbound entrance at Lafayette and Bleecker. At Houston and Bleecker, there is a southbound only entrance for the (6) and the (:D(D)(F)(V). Note that Bleecker's platforms are staggered, so that means that only the southbound platform is underneath Houston. In other words, if you want to take the 6 Avenue IND, you would have to go to the southbound (6) platform.

In the old Bleecker Street photo, all of those entrances are northbound entrances. Lafayette Street (formerally known as Elm Street) is in the foreground and Mulberry Street is in the background. The photo was taken looking east from Lafayette Street. The northbound entrances were on both sides of Mulberry Street.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Archived